Baby monitors are handy devices that help you, and I, watch over our precious children from afar while they are sleeping in their nursery room. What is your favorite baby monitor? One of my favorite brands has got to be the Angelcare. After doing some research, I have come up with this Angelcare baby monitor 2017 review to help you choosing the best baby monitor!
Why Do You Need a Baby Monitor?
Before we go ahead and talk about the best monitoring devices that are currently available on the market, let me explain why you need it in the first place.
One of the main reasons why you need a baby monitor is to give yourself a peace of mind. Sure, we have equipped our children’s room with the safest bed ever and child-proved everything.
However, in the middle of the night, they are not in front of you. So, we need a device that could monitor the sleeping quality of our precious baby while we are away in another room.
The baby monitor watches over our small infants as they sleep soundly in the nursery room on our behalf.
You also need it for the sake of safety. The latest baby monitors come with many useful features that detect not only sound but also capture videos and movements!
Plus, you can keep up with your son’s sleeping habit as movements and sounds information are stored and reported in a format of charts.
How to Choose the Best Baby Monitor?
Now that you know a baby monitor is useful to ensure the safety of your child, here comes the next big question in your head: how do I choose the best baby monitor?
Firstly, let me introduce to you the three different types of baby monitors. They are the sound detector, the video capture, and movement sensor.
Depending on the brand and model, you might get just one or a combo of two or, even better, all categories on a single device. For the last one, get ready to splurge some cash!
So, how to choose the best baby monitor? Below are some guidelines:
- The sound feature – This is the most important feature that you should look for in a baby monitor device. It helps you to detect whether your child is awake in the middle of the night, crying and asking for milk or new diapers.
- The video capture – Do you need this feature? If your baby is a newborn or a toddler, you might find the video useful. It gives you a peek into what’s going on in the room without getting out of your bed.
- The movement detector – Not everybody needs this feature. If you are worried about the safety of your child – whether he breathes fine at night – then you might require it.
- Batteries – Some of the wireless devices operate on batteries. Typically, they have a long lifetime. However, try to consider the one that uses rechargeable batteries, instead of AAA batteries – it’s practical and economical.
- Frequency range – According to Baby Gear Lab, the general frequency range of most monitors are up to 90 feet across five different walls. So, it should work on most houses – single or double story.
- Sound and video quality – These two features are also essential. The sound should have an adjustable setting to get rid of background noise. The video should be sharp and clear for both day and night vision.
Most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Of course, there are many options of baby monitoring devices out there. But in this Angelcare Baby Monitor 2017 Review, I seek to provide you with more than just products to choose.
We need to equip ourselves with info and knowledge about the device. Here are some of the most common questions about baby monitors asked by parents.
- A: What is a baby monitor device?
- Q: It is a wall-mounted or tabletop device that detects and transmit sound from your nursery room to another handheld device often called the parent unit.
- A: How does the communication between the two devices work?
- Q: The two devices operate using radio frequency band to send the frequency from the transmitter (the sound detector) to the receiver (the parent unit).
- A: Which ideal frequency should I pick?
- Q: Most manufacturers equipped their devices with at least 1.9GHz frequency band (this is sufficient for you) and some high-end units even come with 2.4GHz.
- A: Wire Cord vs. Wireless: Which one should I choose?
- Q: If your baby’s crib is not close to a power plug, wireless is the recommended option. However, wireless needs batteries, which needs money. Wire might limit your movement, but it is cheap in the long run.
- A: Is night vision necessary for video capture?
- Q: Yes, it gives you a clear look inside the room with the night vision (infrared).
- A: What is the ideal temperature for my baby’s room?
- Q: According to Consumer Report Organization, your child should sleep well in a room with a temperature somewhere between 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. If you use one of the recommended Angelcare baby monitor 2017 in this review, you will get the temperature display feature.
Angelcare Baby Monitor 2017 Review
Whenever I try to purchase a new baby monitor, Angelcare is always on my consideration list.
They are an established manufacturer that offers well-thought devices with handy features.
In this review, I will examine 5 top Angelcare baby monitors and present its pros and cons for you to consider and purchase! I hope it will make your job of searching for the best baby monitor much easier!
Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor AC517
The Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor AC517 is on top of my list because it is the high-end model in its AC-range. One of the best features of AC517 is its big 5-inch LCD monitor screen.
Plus, navigating the display on the screen is also easy as it is touchscreen. Some other products use touch buttons which can be quite limiting and prone to accidental clicking.
The quality of the screen is also excellent. Many reviewers agreed that the captured videos appeared bright and clear with good colors and contrasts.
If you are a big fan of a wireless device, Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor AC517 is also a great option for you.
Except for the camera, both parent unit and sensor pad are cord-free. You do not have to get stuck to a wall.
Also, cords can be quite dangerous for small kids. So, if you choose this model, you will get your peace of mind when it comes to your son’s safety!
- Sensor pad that detects breathing
- The camera is of a high-quality
- Monitor screen is big and bright
- Temperature display is useful
- Easy setup for the camera and monitors
- The camera uses cord
- The monitor screen is slow in response to the touch
- Pad can send false alarm with vibration of AC or fans inside the room
Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor AC315
The next monitor that I would like to recommend is the Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor AC315. It is the little sibling of the previous model.
The device comes with a camera unit that can also detect sound in your nursery room. You can choose either to mount it on your wall or to place it on a table. It is quite convenient to have choices, isn’t it?
Plus, just like AC517, there is a temperature display on the unit itself. So, you can monitor the temperature inside the room at night and adjust it accordingly.
One of the significant drawbacks of this model is its movement sensor pad comes with a cord. So, you will need to ensure that your crib is near a power outlet to plug in the pad.
But, if the layout of your room has provided that the crib is near a power point, it might not be a drawback for you after all!
- Few to none background noise in sound
- Can display temperature of the room
- Very easy plug-and-play setup
- Cheaper in price
- Video capture are high-quality
- The screen is slightly small at 4.3 inches
- Wired camera and sensor pad can limit mobility
- Cannot pair the camera with more than one monitor
Angelcare Video and Movement With Sound Monitor AC1300
If you need something that is compact and affordable in price, here is another best Angelcare baby monitor for you: Angelcare Video and Movement with Sound Monitor AC3100.
The AC3100 model is in the mid-range group of the Angelcare’s AC series. The 3.5-inch monitor screen is compact and sufficient for simple monitoring. It is not a touchscreen, though.
However, it comes with other specialties like night vision, color video capture, 2.4GHZ frequency band, and breathing/movement sensor pad!
With the sensor pad, all you need to do is to place it under the mattress (it works with any standard baby mattress), and it will detect the slightest movement like breathing.
The way it works is very straightforward. If the pad fails to identify anything in 20 seconds, you will receive an alarm from the parent unit.
The difference between the AC3100 and the previous models is that you cannot review any 2-month tracking and analysis report.
- You can hear and watch your kids from the screen vividly
- The frequency range is long and stable
- The movement sensor works reliably
- Adjustable camera angle
- No temperature display. Just beeping sound when the room is too cold or hot
- No wall-mount support
- The LED light appears too bright in a dark room
Angelcare Baby Video Monitor AC310
If your daughter is already a toddler and does not require any breathing monitoring, here’s a cheaper option compared to the high-end model of AC517: Angelcare Baby Video Monitor AC310!
It features a similar design and offerings but without the sensor pad. With this basic system, you will still be able to detect the crying of your child in the middle of the night.
On top of the camera unit, you will see the current temperature inside the room. I find the visual indication to be very useful for us parents.
If it is higher than 68, you will notice that the LED turns red (too hot), and if it is lower than 8 degrees, it turns blue (too cold).
Another feature that I found to be noteworthy and handy is the two-way support. With it, you can talk to your little child from wherever you are when he is crying.
If you are living in a two-story house and your son sleeps upstairs, and you are downstairs, I bet you will appreciate this feature!
- Vivid and colorful video display
- Night-vision and 2x zoom feature on camera
- Pick baby and noise sound precisely and clearly
- Super easy setup for newbie
- Reasonable price
- Small screen at 4.3 inches
- Temperature display is too bright; can disturb baby to sleep at night
- The monitor can be quite irresponsive
Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor AC420
One of the reasons why I included Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor AC420 in this review is because this is the best cheapest option in my opinion.
The device is simple and easy to use. The monitoring device can detect and send the sound of your baby clearly and noise-free.
From the parent unit, you will not only be able to hear the sound inside the room but also visually see the level of the noise with its Sound Lights feature.
Also, another feature that I like is the temperature display on the parent unit.
At the cost of just about $60, you might think it offers limited features. However, at a fraction of the cost, you can rely on Angelcare AC420 to detect and show the temperature inside the nursery room; it is economical and reliable.
Plus, you can turn on the night light on the nursery unit when you enter your child’s room at night. It won’t distract him in his sleep.
Hundreds of users have bought this AC420 model, and most them rated it as a five-star baby monitor!
- Easy to setup and use
- Complete features
- Low price below $60
- Offers noise cancellation feature
- Can work with multiple monitors
- AAA batteries can drain quickly
- Does not detect voices precisely
- Frequency reception could have been better
My top pick, Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor AC517, remains to be my favorite because it meets most of the criteria of being the best baby monitor.
It offers reliability, wireless option, complete features, satisfying video quality, sound and movement detections, as well as stable frequency connection. I recommend you choose the same model!
Sure, it requires a little bit of investment on your side but, trust me, it is a worthwhile purchase.
The device works as expected and can serve you for many years to come. I think it is practical and economical in the long run.
Consider the best Angelcare baby monitors above and let the device do the hard work on your behalf!