Last Updated on
Families who live in warm climates or spend a lot of time outside in the summer need to pick the best baby carrier for hot weather. Too much fabric along with your body heat (and your baby’s body heat) combine to make a very toasty situation. Specific baby carriers are a better choice if you want to spend time outside. Here are the 5 Best Baby Carriers for Hot Weather that we have considered from UV Protection, Ventilation, Coverage to Fabric for comfortable baby carry.
Why Do I Need a Baby Carrier for Hot Weather?
Wearing your baby, no matter the style of the carrier, is warm. Body heat circulates combined with layers of fabric to create even more warmth. So, parents must be cautious to use a carrier that does better in hot weather.
Babies have higher risks when facing the hot weather. When temperature soar high and you wear your baby, you risk overheating your child, which could potentially cause a heatstroke.
Babies could also sweat too much, leading to dehydration. It is best to use a carrier that allows for maximum air circulation to keep everyone happy and safe.
What Are the Styles of Baby Carriers?
Each style of baby carriers has pros and cons, and each offers a different way to carry your baby. Let’s take a look at each style!
- PROS: Wraps are perfect for newborn babies and provide ample opportunity to snuggle your baby. They are comfortable and easy to move around when wearing.
- CONS: Learning how to use a wrap can be tricky the first few times. It involves a lot of fabric! Naturally Thrifty Mom gives a great tutorial showing how to use wrap a newborn baby.
- PROS: A ring sling is great for breastfeeding mothers because you can discreetly nurse. They are great for quick trips and require little learning curve. Ring slings naturally have great air circulation.
- CONS: This style can strain your shoulder if worn for long periods.
Soft Structured Carriers
- PROS: Structured carriers are the easiest to use and adjustable for multiple caregivers. They are comfortable for long trips and breastfeeding friendly
- CONS: This style can be expensive and hot during warm weather.
Important Features to Consider When Shopping
To help you make a decision, we compiled these features you want to consider when shopping for a baby carrier for hot weather.
Babies under six months old are too young to wear sunscreen. If you plan to walk on the beach or enjoy your older son’s softball game, a baby carrier with UV protection keeps your child safe.
Companies use a special process to increase the UV protection of fabric without changing the properties.
Some companies, such as Lillebaby, that make soft structured carriers come with zippered areas that allow for extra ventilation. You can zip the panel for warmth or unzip for extra air circulation. Other carriers, like a ring sling, naturally allow for air ventilation.
Your baby requires coverage when you take your baby out in the sun. A hood serves as rain protection and a sunshade.
Slings with a long tail give protection to your baby. Not all hoods are the same, so pay attention to the size and if it will properly cover your baby.
The fabric of the baby carrier is one of the most important factors to consider when purchasing a baby carrier for hot weather.
You want fabric that is lightweight and breathable. Linen and cotton are two choices that breathe well. Carriers with mesh linings work as well!
Carrying Positions Available
Different carriers allow for different positions. The front-inward carry is great for snuggling and newborn babies, but back carry is great for warm weather.
Babies should be around six months old before you attempt a back carry. Some parents and babies like front-outward and hip carry.
Both are cooler than front-inward!
Some carriers are great for water activities and are made out of special, fast drying fabric. These come in handy when you are at the beach or go to the splash pad with your other children. Infants can sleep soundly while you enjoy being outside, without any worry of a sunburn!
When you carry a newborn baby, weight distribution isn’t as important, but it matters for older babies.
If you plan to wear your 20-pound infant for several hours at a time, you want a carrier that features padded shoulders, a wide and padded waistband, and other features that distribute your child’s weight evenly. Uneven distribution results in a sore back or shoulder.
The last feature is easy to fix because most carriers come in a variety of colors. You don’t want a carrier for hot weather that is black, navy blue, deep green, or brown. Dark colors attract sun rays.
Instead, go for a light color for your baby carrier. White, light pink, light blue, or anything in the light realm will keep you cooler.
5 Picks for the Best Baby Carriers for Hot Weather
Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Ring Sling
- Comfortable, non-bulky Lightly Padded Shoulder naturally spreads the fabric across your back.
- Breathable, hand-woven cotton is more supportive and cooler than stretchy wraps.
- Perfectly adjustable to fit you and your growing baby.
Designed for babies 8 to 35 pounds, the Maya Wrap ring sling allows you to carry your baby in style and comfort. This 100% cotton ring sling is lightweight, breathable, and sturdy.
Lillebaby Complete All Seasons Six-Position Baby Carrier
- SIX POSITIONS: The LÍLLÉbaby COMPLETE baby carrier combines all essential features, including lumbar support, in 1 light-weight carrier with 6 ergonomic positions for "360 degree" carrying: Front: fetal, infant, outward & toddler; Hip carry; & Back carry
- VERSATILE CARRYING: With our two-way straps allowing you to carry backpack style or forwards, large zippered storage pocket, removable sleeping hood & extendable torso, the LÍLLÉbaby Complete Baby Carrier provides comfort & support for you and your child.
- HANDS-FREE COMFORT: Whether you're hiking a trail or walking your dog, LÍLLÉbaby's baby carriers and toddler carriers let you carry your child in comfort and style, and the adjustable side panels widen or narrow the seat for comfortable hip positioning.
Lillebaby crafted an ergonomic 6-in-1 baby carrier that features lumbar support and a temperature control panel. Babies and parents rave about the comfort level in the Complete All Seasons!
ErgoBaby 360 All Positions Cool Mesh Baby Carrier
- NEWBORN TO TODDLER: Carrier fits babies ~4-36 months (12-33lbs) without an infant insert and ~0-4 months (7-12lbs) with the insert (Sold Separately).
- COOL AND BREATHABLE: Our Cool Air Mesh collection carriers are made with soft and durable mesh fabric that provides our renowned ergonomic support for baby while allowing for ultimate breathability and airflow; Machine Washable. Includes UPF 50+ tuck away baby hood for sun & wind protection, privacy and easy breastfeeding.
- COMFORTABLE & ERGONOMIC: Adjustable bucket seat supports your baby in a natural "M" position facing in or out in all carry positions as baby grows.
Ergobaby is a classic carrier for years, and their 360 Cool Mesh is the best they created so far! The Cool Mesh is a great choice for active parents who love to be outside.
Boba 4G Carrier
- Free from any potential harmful materials or dyes
- The 4G baby carrier will take your little one from infancy to toddler
- Use as a front carrier from 7-25 pounds and front or back carrier from 25-45 pounds
The Boba 4G is a top contender for the title of the best baby carrier for hot weather. Usable for kids ranging from 7 to 45 pound, the included features make it a family-friendly choice.
Beechtree Baby Modal Baby Wrap
in a Hug Hold.
- 50% MORE BREATHABLE - Modal is 50% more breathable than cotton, solving the biggest problem with baby wraps: they get too hot. Modal is also an eco-friendly natural fabric made from recycled beech tree pulp. Beech trees require a fraction of the water and arable land used for organic cotton
- 2x SOFTER AND STRETCHIER THAN COTTON - Our baby sling wrap carrier is soft and a bit stretchy (5% Spandex), but not too stretchy - making it the most comfortable and supportive wrap you can buy. Designed for cooler carrying, our fabric is as strong as, but thinner than other wraps, which makes it feel stretchier than other wraps. If you tie the wrap tighter, your baby can ride high and the stretch adds comfort to your babycarrying
- Baby Wrap Convenience- With the baby sling, you are hands free! You can wash dishes, go for walks, go shopping or walk your dog while quieting a restless baby. Both mommy and baby are happy!
Wraps are typically warmer than other styles of carrier, but Beechtree Baby uses modal fabric to keep the baby and mom cool. Beechtree designed their wrap with this problem in mind and found a way to make sure baby doesn’t get too hot.
What is the Best Baby Carrier for Hot Weather?
All of these contenders are fantastic choices that you can’t go wrong with, but the clear winner is the Lillebaby All Seasons Complete Baby Carrier.
The All Seasons offers unprecedented support for parents with their unique lumbar support design and wide waistband. For hot weather, their zippered panel exposes 3D mesh that allows air to circulate around baby.
Parents can wear their baby in six positions, including a back carry which is much cooler. Overall, the Lillebaby All Seasons will keep you and your baby cool during hot weather.
Picking the best baby carrier for hot weather can be hard because manufacturers offer so many incredible choices. Stay cool with these five options, and enjoy making memories with your baby this summer.
Last update on 2019-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API