Last Updated on
A new baby is an amazing thing to welcome into your home, but it’s hard to be happy when you’ve only had two hours of sleep and your new baby can’t seem to settle down. That’s why a baby swing or bouncer can be a lifesaver.
Understanding the Difference Between a Swing, Bouncer and Combo
Before you start shopping, it’s important that you understand what you’re shopping for.
Baby Swing – A baby swing is a seat that’s usually powered by a battery or electricity. It gently swings your baby from side to side or rocks him back and forth. It’s ideal for getting your baby to sleep when your arms are just too tired to do the work.
It’s especially helpful because most swings come with a selection of speeds, so you can put the swing on a setting that suits your baby and let it rock him to sleep.
With a bouncer, your baby has the opportunity to sit up at an angle and start moving his arms and legs.
It’s also more portable than the baby swing, which means you can move it into the bathroom while you’re taking that much needed shower.
Swing Bouncer Combo – A swing bouncer combo is just what it sounds like, a combination of the two. Often times it starts out as a swing, but the seat can be detached to become an easy to move bouncer.
No matter which one you choose, be aware that there are risks linked to all of them. Studies have found that babies who spend a long period of time in any of these devices can be slower to develop physically. Doctors stress that moderation is key.
Go ahead and use the bouncer or swing when you take a shower or do the dishes, but be careful of letting your baby stay in it all day. Think of the swing as a helping hand when you need it the most, not a babysitter.
What to Look for When Shopping
Safety Features – Make sure that whichever type you choose, it has either a three-point or five-point harness. The five-point harness is much like what you’ll find in your baby’s car seat and is ideal for keeping your baby securely fastened in the seat.
Portability – Do you want a swing that you can easily take to your mother’s house or is it okay staying in one place? Some swing sets are more portable than others, so know how important portability is to you before you shop.
Power Source – Some swings are powered by electricity, some are powered by a battery and some can do both. There are also some models that have no power at all. Know what you’re looking for before you buy.
If you plan to put the swing in a high traffic area of the house, it’s probably not good to have it tethered to the wall by a power cord.
At the same time, if you’re using the swing a lot, changing the batteries every two weeks is not ideal. Neither is pushing the swing every minute until your baby falls asleep.
Weight Limit – Be sure to figure out the weight limit of the swing or bouncer before you buy it. It would be really upsetting to buy something for your two-month-old only to find he outgrew it a month later. All swings and bouncers have different weight limits, so it’s important to read the product’s specifications before you buy it.
Ability to Clean – Accidents happen. You can’t always plan for diaper explosions or spit up, so the ability to take off a cover and clean it is key. In an ideal situation, you’re looking for something that’s machine washable, so you can do a quick rinse, toss it in the washer and then get back to all the other chores that need to be done.
Extras – Bouncers and swings all have extra features. Some parents want a set that plays music. Others must have a bouncer that vibrates. Maybe the color is especially important to you. Or you really want a hanging mobile. Before you buy, make a list of the items that you absolutely must have and the ones you can do without.
5 Best Baby Swings and Bouncers Combo
Ingenuity Smart Size 2-in-1 Soothing Solution
- Compact design takes up 30% less space than full-sized swings
- Two recline positions and an oversized seat with soft strap covers and a removable infant support bolster and cradling head rest for comfort
- Connectome for customizable music, pictures and videos
The Ingenuity Smart Size 2-in-1 Soothing Solution offers you two options for soothing your baby. Use it as a swing to sway your baby to sleep, or detach the rocker to take your little one with you wherever you go in the house.
The system is good for babies up to 9-months-old or 20 pounds.
- Six swing speed settings, four vibration modes, and four swing motions which means you’re bound to find some combination your little one likes.
- 30 percent smaller than swings with the same features. That’s a big deal when you think of all the new baby stuff in your house. The less space a swing takes up, the less cramped you feel.
- The seat rotates 360 degrees so even as the swing stays stationary, your baby’s view can change. Plus, the rotation allows you to go from a side-to-side swing to a back-to-front swing.
- ConnectMe allows you to connect your smartphone directly to the swing and customize the music your baby hears and the images he sees. It may be the best way you’re your little one to see grandma and grandpa every day even though they live halfway across the country.
- The swing can be plugged in or run on battery power.
- A small number of parents have said the swing is a bit loud when it’s being used. In some cases, this has disturbed the baby’s sleep, but most parents say their little one has slept right through it.
Fisher-Price Deluxe Newborn Rock ’n‘ Play Sleeper
No products found.
The Fisher-Price Deluxe Rock ’n‘ Play Sleeper is lightweight and easily folds up so you can take it with you anywhere or store it away to save space. This is the perfect sleeper for a small apartment or house because it has a small footprint and is easy to use.
There are special inserts to help support a newborn’s head as well as calming vibrations for babies of any size. The Fisher-Price Deluxe Rock ’n‘ Play Sleeper is good for babies up to 12-months-old or 25 pounds.
When you’re shopping, be sure to look for the Deluxe model of the Rock ’n‘ Play Sleeper.
- Lightweight and easy to store or travel with. This is a great item to have when you’re taking a weekend trip to see the in-laws. It’s smaller than a pack ’n‘ play and a lot more comfortable for baby.
- There’s battery operated vibration which helps soothe some little ones.
- Some parents say it helps with acid reflux in their newborns.
- The cover is machine washable.
- This is NOT an automatic rocker. You must push the rocker yourself.
- Some parents say the vibration motor starts to get noisier as the sleeper gets older. Many of them have fixed the issue with a towel to add extra cushion near the motor.
BabyBjorn Bouncer Balance Soft
- Ergonomic baby bouncer – proper head and back support
- Fun and natural rocking that stimulates your baby’s development
- From 8 lbs/21 in (3.5 kg/53 cm) to 29 lbs (13 kg) (approx. for newborns and toddlers up to the age of 2)
When it comes to baby bouncers, BabyBjorn is considered to be one of the best. The Bouncer Balance Soft is safe and ergonomic, offering your baby the proper support for his neck and back.
The system can safely be used until your baby is 2-years-old because it transforms from a bouncer into a chair. All you have to do is flip over the cover.
- The bouncer folds flat for storage and weighs less than 5 pounds.
- You can adjust the bouncer into 4 different positions.
- The bouncer transforms into a chair so your toddler can use it too. I really wish I had a bouncer with this feature when my kids were younger. It seemed like they grew out of their bouncer way too fast.
- The fabric is easily removed so you can toss it into the washing machine. BabyBjorn promises it uses fabric that is free from chemicals and harmful allergens.
- There is no automatic rocking or bouncing. Your baby’s movement is the only thing that makes this bouncer move.
- There is no vibration feature.
Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ’n‘ Swing
- 2 ways to swing; Side to side or head to toe
- 2 comfy recline positions
- 6 swing speeds, 16 soothing songs & nature sounds
The Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ’n‘ Swing offers you a bunch of options to get your baby to sleep. The ability to rotate the cradle so your baby can swing from side-to-side or back-and-forth is a great asset.
The Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ’n‘ Swing is recommended for babies up to 3-months-old or 25 pounds.
- There are six swing speeds and the cradle rotates so your baby can swing side-to-side or back-and-forth.
- The swing system will sense the baby’s weight so it will continue at the same speed as the baby grows.
- The Snugapuppy offers a very comfortable cradle for the baby.
- The swing will run on electricity or battery power.
- The frame folds easily for storage allowing you to make room for tummy-time as your baby gets older.
- Some parents have complained the swing’s motor is too noisy.
Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer
- Swing seat doubles as a portable bouncer, giving you flexibility to move around the house while keeping baby comfy and close-by
- Option to plug-in or use batteries for convenience
- Vibration with two speed settings keeps baby relaxed
The Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer is a combination of baby swing and bouncer. The seat can be removed from the swing and taken into any room in the house as a bouncer for your little one.
The Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer is good for babies up to 30 pounds.
- Includes six swinging speeds and an adjustable chair to put your baby in the most comfortable position possible.
- The swing comes with 10 different melodies and five different nature sounds.
- The cover is easy to clean and can be tossed into the washing machine.
- The swing can be powered by a battery or plugged into the wall.
- Some parents have complained that the swing is too loud and lets off a clicking noise.
- Some people have complained that the instructions included with the set are overly complicated making it difficult to put together. They have suggested using YouTube for better instructions.
In an ideal world, there would be multiple, well-regarded swing and bouncer combos out there to just make a list of Best Baby Swings and Bouncers Combo.
Sadly, most companies make one or the other. The companies that do make combos, rarely do it well. The Ingenuity Smart Size 2-in-1 Soothing Solution seems to be the best solution for the parent that wants both.
It’s well regarded in the swing category and its rocker does well for when you need to take the little one into another room.
If you’re just looking for a space-saving bouncer, then the BabyBjorn Balance Soft seems to be your best bet. There are hundreds of product reviews on the company’s website and none of the ratings are below three-stars.
Last update on 2020-03-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API