As a parent, I have been through that long newborn phase wherein most of the time babies want to be carried and rocked all day long. I could attest how baby swings helped parents, grandparents, or caretakers get some little time off to relax or just to do simple tasks like eating.
Thus, it is essential to look for the best baby swing that can help you relax a bit and can also soothe and keep your baby entertained while tucked in safely. In this article, I have broken down some of the important things to know about and look at baby swings. I have also highlighted some of the top rated baby swings this 2020.
12 Best Baby Swing of 2020 Summary
What is a baby swing?
A baby swing is a free-standing seat in a semi-reclined angle that keeps newborns or infants safely secured. Motorized baby swings are powered by batteries or electricity to mimic a swaying or rocking sensation to soothe or make the baby calm.
Why use a swing?
According to Dr. Harvey Karp, when babies tend to be fussy or cranky, mimicking the environment of the mother’s womb can help soothe the baby. Swinging the baby can somehow imitate the “jiggly” sensation inside the mom’s womb, making the baby relax and feel calm.
The thing is that swinging an infant in your arms could be exhausting. This is where mechanical swings help. These swings keep babies safely tucked in and mimic a swaying motion to appease them and even put them to sleep.
However, the AAP or the American Academy of Pediatrics cautions parents and caretakers against allowing babies to sleep in swings. They strongly advise moving babies to a firm sleeping surface once they fall asleep in the swing.
Further reading: Baby Sleeping in Swing – Is it Really Safe?
When can a baby use a swing?
Newborn babies as early as 3 weeks can already use a baby swing given that the baby doesn’t slump too much in the seat or can already support his/her head enough.
How to choose a best baby swing?
It could be quite hard choosing the right baby swing for your baby because of a lot of best selling baby swings in the market. That is why I have highlighted the important considerations you should keep in mind on the best baby swing before making a buying decision.
One of the most critical factors you must consider in a baby swing is the safety of your little darling. Some baby swings have a 3-point harness while others have a 5-point harness. This harness keeps your baby in a comfortable position and safely tucked in to prevent untoward incidents.
It is important that the harness is not too loose nor too tight to keep your baby comfortable in the swing and also to give you peace of mind to do urgent simple tasks.
You should also take note of the weight limit of the baby swings because some swings are only suitable for infant use while other swings can still be used even during toddler years. Check the description of the best baby swing before buying it.
The swing design here refers to the size of the swing (apart from aesthetics). As baby swings come in different dimensions, you may want to get a baby swing great for small spaces, something geared towards a compact size if you have limited space at home.
The Seat of the Swing
Aside from safety, it is also crucial to make sure that your baby is comfortable in the swing. Check if the seat of the swing is soft and comfy for your baby and can be reclined to different positions. Also, ensure that the seat can be cleaned easily for hygienic purposes.
Adjustability also ensures the comfort level of your little one in the baby swing. It is important that you are able to adjust the speed and swinging motions of the best baby swing according to you and your babies’ preference.
Cool baby swings nowadays offer a lot of entertainment options for your little one. Some swings offer hanging toys for the baby to play along. Other swings have a music system installed in it to make the baby relax and even put to sleep.
You may be interested in: 5 Best Baby Swings for Sleeping
Best Baby Swings 2020
Here are some of the best-selling baby swings in the market:
1. Fisher-Price Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing
There is no wonder why Fisher-Price Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing is one of the most sought-after baby swings in the market to date because of its deep plush seat, flexibility, and most of all affordability. This baby swing has two seating options either flat or reclined and six swinging speed settings for soothing or calming the baby.
In addition, it can swing from back-to-front or side-to-side, whichever your baby prefers. On top of that, this best baby swing is equipped with SmartSwing Technology to sense the baby’s weight and start swinging.
What makes me more fascinated with this swing is that it can be plugged in or battery operated. Plus, it is machine washable which is really a bonus when it comes to cleaning.
- Easy to assemble
- Different swinging speeds
- Very comfortable for the baby
- Plugin and battery-operated option
- The seat can be washed through machine
- Size is a bit hefty and consumes a lot of space
- 2 ways to swing; Side to side or head to toe
- 2 comfy recline positions
- 6 swing speeds, 16 soothing songs & nature sounds
2. Graco DuetSoothe Swing and Rocker
This Graco DuetSoothe Swing and Rocker can work as a swing and as a rocker as well. This swing can be operated with a battery or plugged in to sway the baby either side-to-side or back-and-forth. This can hold babies with weight up to 25 lbs. for swing and 30 lbs. for rocker.
To give utmost comfort for your baby, this baby swing has 6 different swinging speeds that you can adjust according to your baby’s preference. And for optimum entertainment, this has an installed 10 melodies and 5 nature sounds feature in it to keep your baby amused and even swing him to sleep as well.
- With 6 adjustable swinging speed settings
- Multi-directions swing options
- Can also be used as a rocker
- With music feature of 10 melodies and 5 nature sounds
- Can be plugged in or operated with battery
- A bit on the heavier side
- 2 products in 1: Removable infant swing seat doubles as a rocker
- 3 seating positions so baby can sway side to side or swing front to back
- Rocker carry handle allows you to keep baby by your side
3. Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing
The Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing is one best affordable baby swing of today. Just because it is affordable doesn’t mean it lacks all the important aspects in a baby swing. This baby swing has 2 vibration options that you can choose to soothe your baby. Also, this baby swing has a deep plush seat and a 5-point harness that keeps your baby comfortable and secure in the swing.
If you don’t want a baby swing to take up too much space in your little home, then this baby swing could be your best option. The baby swing has a compact design that can nestle in any available corner you have. And to keep your baby entertained, it is equipped with 15 songs and 3 soft toys to initiate play.
- Can be operated through batteries or plugin
- Sturdy and solid construction
- With 15 soothing music
- Easy to clean
- Straps are adjustable and secure
- Produces a bit of a squeaky sound
- Lacks head support
- This baby swings small frame design fits in any room of your home so you can easily keep baby close wherever you are
- Plug-in option allows you to save money on batteries while using your infant swing
- Gentle, side-to-side swaying motion soothes and comforts baby
4. 4moms mamaRoo 4 Baby Swing
One of the glossiest and most modern-looking swings in the market, this 4moms mamaRoo 4 Baby Swing could be your best bet. It is made from a very smooth and comfy fabric that ensures your baby will be snug and calm throughout the ride. Plus, this seat is machine washable, meaningless workload for all busy moms out there.
This best plug in baby swing has 5 different motion settings powered with an AC adapter and can be controlled through the app via a Bluetooth enabled smartphone. This also has an MP3 plugin where you could play music to keep your baby relax and entertained as well.
The weight limit of this swing is up to 25 lbs. Although this could be a bit more expensive than other baby swings out there, with all its great features it indeed gives a bang for your buck.
- Nice-looking design
- Bluetooth enabled
- With mp3 plug-in
- Can be controlled through a smartphone
- Compact and lightweight
- A bit expensive than other options
- 5 unique motions & speeds
- Bluetooth Enabled – control motion & sound
- 4 built in sounds & MP3 plug-in
5. Fisher-Price Take-Along Swing & Seat
Take a little time off while keeping your baby entertained with this Fisher-Price Take-Along Swing & Seat. This can either be used as a portable baby swing or a stationary infant seat. This baby swing features a SmartSwing Technology that senses baby’s weight and spontaneously adjusts swinging motion speeds even without a push.
Plus, it has a soft and machine-washable seat pad with newborn insert, to ensure a clean and comfy swing and seat. This swing also has an easy-fold frame where you can easily grab it and go.
This best swing for baby has 10 songs and nature sounds installed in it plus volume control so that you can adjust accordingly. It also has 2 animal toys overhead to keep your baby entertained as you go on with urgent errands.
- Folds compactly
- Easy to put together
- Sturdy construction
- Comfortable and soft seat that is machine washable
- With 10 soft and pleasant music
- Swings are way too fast for a newborn
- Creates humming sound from the motor
- The shoulder strap is too short
- Portable baby swing and stationary infant seat in one!
- 6 swing speeds, 10 songs and nature sounds, plus volume control
- Calming vibrations and 2 animal toys overhead
6. Ingenuity Cozy Kingdom Portable Swing
If you are looking for a budget-friendly baby swing, then this Ingenuity Cozy Kingdom Portable Swing is perfect for you. This portable swing easily folds up in a compact shape, making it a whole lot easier to take on the go. This baby swing has a nice and plush seat that your little one wouldn’t mind being in it for quite some time.
In addition, it has six different speed settings to match your child’s preference. To give a more soothing environment for your little baby, this baby swing is equipped with calming music, perfect for dosing off.
If your baby is in the mood for a play, then no worries as this baby swing also have two stuffed animals to keep him amused and distracted as well. This swing could accommodate babies from 6 lbs. up to 20 lbs.
- Swing is portable
- Folds down nearly flat
- Plush, comfortable seat
- Six speeds of motion
- Calming music
- Includes two mobile toys
- Consumes batteries fast
- No volume control for music
- Tackle to dos while baby rests in comfort by your side
- Made in CHINA
- 6 extra quiet swing speed options
7. Graco Duet Glide Swing with Portable Rocker
Graco has once again landed on our top list but this time with its Graco Duet Glide Swing with Portable Rocker. It has 4 soothing options with adjustable swing speed and 2-speed vibration that you could choose from. This is important as babies need different kinds of swinging, depending on their mood and preference. This swing seat can also double as a rocker to soothe your fussy or cranky baby.
In addition, it has 3 different recline positions to let your little one lay back and relax. No need to fret about your baby’s safety when rocking or swinging, as this has a 3-point harness that you can adjust according to your baby’s size to keep your darling secure and comfortable during motion.
On top of that, this swing and rocker have 15 different calming songs and sounds and two soft toys to keep your baby engrossed and amused.
- 3 recline settings
- Decent glide settings
- Bassinet is removable
- Light and compact
- Easy to assemble
- Doesn’t change incline positions smoothly
- Not too cushy
- Unique swinging or gliding motions mean more options to choose from to soothe your little one
- Swing seat conveniently doubles as a portable rocker and has carry handles to keep baby close by throughout the home
- Choose from 4 soothing motions to comfort baby - swinging or gliding side-to-side or front-to-back
8. Fisher-Price Moonlight Meadow Cradle ‘n Swing
Fisher-Price Moonlight Meadow Cradle ‘n Swing has two cradle and swing options— swing head-to-toe or rock baby side-to-side. You just need to push a button and turn the seat. In addition to that, it also has 6 different swinging speeds, so you can find the best motion and rhythm to keep your baby calm and relax.
This cradle and swing have a SmartSwing technology that senses your baby’s weight and automatically starts swinging even without a push. This baby swing has a machine-washable deep and cozy seat with padded seat cover to make your baby all the more comfortable even after some time. Plus, this has two convenient power options to choose from. You can either plug it in or switch to battery power for swinging motion.
And for entertainment, this baby swing has a motorized mobile with 16 songs and nature sounds and 3 plush animal toys to keep your baby occupied and entertained at the same time.
- Nice swing
- Sound quality is better
- Cozy and comfortable
- Decent movement range
- Easy to assemble
- Produces loud sound
- The base doesn’t feel sturdy
- Two swing motions to help soothe baby: rock baby side-to-side like a cradle or swing head-to-toe
- Six swing speeds, 16 songs, soothing nature sounds
- Motorized mobile with mirror globe and three soft animal mobile toys
9. Ingenuity DreamComfort Cradling Swing
Let your baby enjoy in comfort in a full swing with the Ingenuity DreamComfort Cradling Swing. This baby swing has a 180° rotation where you can keep an eye on your baby all the time.
The swing is suitable for newborn babies until they weigh 20 lbs. This has a vibrating movement to soothe your baby or dose him/her to sleep. This uses a plug-in technology that lets your infant enjoy 6 different speed settings and 3 different sway directions.
When your baby needs to be entertained, this has optional smartphone connectivity where it lets you play your favorite videos and 2 dangling plush toys.
This baby swing is also portable because of its lightweight and portable design that makes transferring from one room to another quite easy. In cleaning, you only need to wipe it clean using a damp cloth with a mild soap.
- Easy to put together
- With music, vibrations, and light
- With several swing settings
- Looks and works great
- Swings quietly
- Not that comfortable for big babies
- Frame folds easily for portability and storage
- TrueSpeed technology maintains 6 speeds as baby grows
- WhisperQuiet motor makes swaying extra peaceful
10. Graco EveryWay Baby Swing with Removable Rocker
The Graco EveryWay Baby Swing with Removable Rocker one of the best baby swing bouncer combo that offers 16 soothing motions for your baby’s different moods or preferences with three recline positions. It has eight swinging options – sway, circle, wave, arch, swing, zig-zag, figure 8, and bounce—to comfort your fussy baby. There are also two directions for swinging either front-to-back or side-to-side.
This also conveniently doubles as a baby rocker to keep your baby happy and smiling. On top of that, it has 6 adjustable swing speeds to allow parents or guardians to adjust according to the baby’s preference.
And to keep your baby distracted as you go on with your simple chores, it is equipped with an adjustable mobile with soft toys and goods and 15 calming songs and sounds. This best baby swing is all powered through an AC adapter, which lets you save from having to buy a new set of batteries over time.
- Material is nice and soft
- The detachable bouncer is great
- Swing is compact
- Easy to assemble with clear instructions
- Straps are easy to snap on
- The swinging pattern seems jerky
- The vibration goes in and out
You may also want to check out: 5 Best Baby Swings and Bouncers Combo
- Eight ways to swing and two directions mean 16 soothing motions to comfort and soothe baby
- Eight ways to swing: arch, swing, bounce, figure 8, circle, wave, zig-zag and sway
- Multi-direction seat allows baby to enjoy either side-to-side or front-to-back swinging for more soothing options
11. Fisher-Price SpaceSaver Swing & Seat
This Fisher-Price SpaceSaver Swing & Seat allows you to resume urgent tasks while keeping your baby entertained and safe at the same time. This baby swing has 5-speed swing settings that can also be converted easily to calming vibrations, depending on your baby’s state. It has a 5-point harness and non-skid feet that keep your baby and baby swing in place as the baby swing and seat move along.
This baby swing is equipped with 7 tunes with volume control for calming your baby. Plus, it also has a swing-away toy bar with animal friends that will surely entertain your baby.
- Easy to put together
- Swing was great
- Compact and lightweight
- Vibration feature works nicely
- Several swing speed options
- The cushion is not too comfortable
- No option to plug in an outlet
- Easy to convert from 5-speed swing to calming vibrations seat
- 7 tunes for soothing & play with volume control
- For issues, please call Fisher-Price Customer Service: 800-432-5437
12. Ingenuity Swing ‘n Go, Swing
This Ingenuity Swing ‘n Go Swing, one of the best swing for newborn, is designed to exceedingly meet the criteria of most parents. This is made of luxurious and premium fabrics that keep your baby cozy and comfortable in place.
It also has a removable added bolster and headrest to offer extra support for your little babies. All this can be tossed in the washing machine, especially when it becomes messy and dirty. The 5-point safety harness is wrapped in fleece and soft fabrics to ensure that your baby’s sensitive skin is well-protected.
Furthermore, it has a 5 different swing speed to cater to your child’s needs and wants. You can also set the swing timer to 30, 40, up to 60 minutes for hands-free swinging. Plus, it has a true speed weight sensing technology to keep your child’s most preferred swing speed, even as he/she gets bigger. This also has a slim fold design that allows you to compactly transport or store it.
This best baby swing is more battery energy and cost saving thanks to its Hybrid Rive Technology which lets battery last 3 times much longer. And for your baby’s entertainment, this baby swing is equipped with 2 plush toys and soothing music.
- Portable and lightweight
- Removable covers for easy washing
- Swing works quietly
- Energy and cost saving with longer lasting batteries
- Easy to fold up and move away
- Swing randomly turns off
- Music also turns unintentionally
- Deluxe plush fabrics with removable headrest
- 5 swing speeds, 8 melodies and 3 nature sounds. Weight Maximum (lb) 20.0, Weight Minimum (lb) 6.0
- True Speed technology means baby's favorite speed will remain consistent, even as baby gets bigger
To conclude, baby swings help parents and guardians take a little time off from cradling babies all day long. This allows them to resume simple tasks while keeping the baby safe and entertained at the same time.
All the swings mentioned above are of good quality and gives excellent support for you and your baby. For me, the Ingenuity Swing ‘n Go Swing is the best baby swing out of the list. This is because it has all the right features that I am looking for in a baby swing like the luxurious and premium fabrics on the seat and the harness, removable added bolster and headrest for support, true speed weight sensing technology, energy saving feature and so much more.
Well, that is for me of course. For you, which one do you think will suit your baby best? Hope this guide helps!
Last update on 2020-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API