Convenience, portability, and peace of mind. Pack ‘N Play and playards are a safe place to lay your baby whether you are a family on the go or using it within your own home.
Playards are useful for having a contained space to keep your baby out of trouble, a safe space for them to play, or even as a changing table with the attachment. But you are wondering, “can my baby sleep in a pack and play?”, the answer is almost always yes!
As long as the playard is set up correctly and being used properly, they can be a great place for sleeping. We will cover the best pack and play for sleeping, whether it be for a short nap or a restful night’s sleep.
Summary of 12 Best Pack N’ Play & Playard for Sleeping
A Plethora of Playards
There are many different types of pack and plays, but a few select brands tend to dominate the market of baby products, such as Graco Pack ‘N Play range of playard, Baby Trend and Evenflo, to name a few. However, just because you are familiar with the brand doesn’t mean it is the best product for you and your little one.
Choosing the right pack and play will ensure your baby is not only safe but comfortable. This is especially true if your little one will be sleeping in the playard. To reduce the risk of SIDS, babies require a safe sleep space. Therefore, you will want to thoroughly research your pack and play options before purchasing one.
Choosing the Ideal Playard
So how do you select the best pack and play for infant sleeping? There are a few categories that you should use to review the best playard choices for babies.
Safety Guidelines. Following best sleep practices recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) should be your primary concern. These include a firm sleep surface with a tight-fitting sheet and no soft bedding, bumpers, blankets, pillows, or toys. It is important to evaluate the sleep surface of the pack and play, both the mattress and the bassinet attachment if it has one. Additionally, the sides should be constructed from a breathable mesh. Thankfully, this is standard on most pack and plays.
Ease of Use. You want to ensure that your pack and play is easy to use. This means that it should be simple to set up, take down, and transport. This can also include convenience features such as: will it fit through most doorways? Does it include a travel carrying case? How much it weighs and is it easy to clean?
Many modern pack and plays are made to be easily transported either from room to room in your house or to an entirely different destination. However, they vary in size and weight. If you have limited room in the house, consider getting play pens that are great for small spaces.
Special Features. Many pack and plays available today come with a few different features. Some have a bassinet attachment that can be used when a newborn is sleeping in a pack and play. Others offer storage, a changing table, a mattress with varying heights, and even an interactive mobile. You will have to decide which features are most important to use as each “add-on” can increase the playards weight and decrease its transportability.
Age. Though it can be tempting to purchase a gently used pack and play for a lower price, it is recommended that you buy one new. This way you can be certain of its history and confident that it was always used correctly, not modified, and has all of its parts.
12 Wonderful Playard & Best Pack and Play for Sleeping
Now that you know what things to keep an eye out for, we will review some great examples of useful and safe best pack and play for sleeping.
1. Evenflo Portable BabySuite Classic
The Evenflo Portable BabySuite Classic is a simple no-fuss pack and play designed for optimal portability. It may not have a great deal of features but it is lightweight and effortless to use. This rather inexpensive pack and play is an ideal playard for those who travel or plan to frequently move it from room to room in their home.
- The mattress doubles as a tummy time mat that can be used on the floor
- Very compact when in use and doesn’t take up much space
- Comes with carrying case
- The mattress is thin and not the most comfortable
- Can be difficult to get sides to lock into place
- Convertible Floormat: Converts to play mat and can be used with toys to provide a comfortable space for tummy time
- Quick and Easy Set Up: Easy to set up and take-down, can be moved from room to room and great for travel
- Carry Bag: Convenience when you are on-the-go
2. Lotus Travel Crib
Families on the go will appreciate the Lotus Travel Crib as one of the best pack and play for sleeping. It is so portable and compact that it comes with its own backpack carrying case. In addition to its portability, it’s comfortable, featuring a plush foam mattress that has been approved for newborn and infant sleep.
- Side mesh panel can be unzipped for cuddling or playing or zipped and locked for sleeping
- Weighs only 13 pounds
- Nearly full coverage mesh for breathability and maintaining a clear line of sight
- A bit pricey
- The mattress is not standard size so you must purchase special sheets
- Mattress and crib bottom rest on the ground and are not elevated
- WORRY-FREE AIRPORT TRAVEL - Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light backpack carrying case. Set up is simple in 15 seconds and only weighs 13 lbs packed.
- CERTIFIED SAFE & NON-TOXIC - The only playard with GreenGuard Gold non-toxic certification (low voc & no lead, phthalates, pvc, heavy metals, etc). Full-height mesh guarantees best, breathable airflow.
- QUIET SIDE ZIPPER DOOR - Nurse or cuddle your little one to sleep, then just zip the lockable access door. Easier on your back, and when it’s time to play & crawl, more fun!
3. Baby Trend Nursery Center
If you are looking for one of the best pack in plays for a newborn to sleep in, consider the Baby Trend Nursery Center. The playard has it all, a full bassinet, a mobile, and a diaper stacker. This best pack and play for sleeping offers the convenience of nursery essentials in a portable structure.
- Has two large wheels that lock for effortless transport
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Sides can be locked into place with one hand
- Available in different colors and patterns
- Playard is wobbly without mattress in the bottom
- Sides can be hard to unlock and collapse
- Removeable full size bassinet
- Handy Diaper stacker and mobile
- One hand locking mechanism
4. Joovy New Room2 Portable Playard
The Joovy New Room2 Portable Playard offers plenty of space with nearly 10 feet of playard area and it is one of the best playards for twins. The top to bottom mesh walls means you can always see your little one. This pack and play can be used for sleeping but is ideal for giving your baby a safe space when you have to leave the room for a moment.
- Fitted sheet is included
- Has two durable wheels for simple room to room moving
- Very durable, can be used with toddlers up to 35lbs
- Heavier and bulkier than standard playards
- Square mattress requires special sheets
- May have a strong odor when first removed from packaging
- The new room2 (Room squared) is nearly 50% larger than most traditional playards, so you will be able to use it longer and play more
- Nearly 50% larger than most traditional playard with over 10 square feet of space, baby has plenty of room to play and stay entertained. Reliable, durable and built for endurance. Perfect for twins
- An essential piece of gear for families with twins, offering abundant room for two babies. Low center of gravity The heavy duty padded mattress supports a baby from 0M+ upto 35”. Two wheels help in moving the playard.
5. Graco Pack ‘n Play Newborn2Toddler Playard
The versatile Graco Pack ‘n Play Newborn2Toddler Playard offers seven modes to accommodate infant sleep all the way to toddler sleep. It has a bassinet, making it one of the best pack and plays for newborn sleeping, as well as a mattress in addition to a changing area and storage compartment. The elevated mattress bassinet can be removed to make it compact for travel or to function as a toddler cot.
- It can be used with two kids at once. Either with cot and pack and play or with cot and bassinet attachment
- Sleeper bassinet lined with soft fabric
- Waterproof changing area wipes clean
- Takes 15-20 minutes to assemble on average
- Complicated directions
- Pack 'n play offers 7 ways of use, including a raised bassinet and a toddler cot
- With 7 different ways to use from newborn to toddler, this playard is specifically designed to grow with your child
- The raised bassinet positions baby at your eye level for check-ins through the night, without having to get out of bed
6. Delta Children LX Deluxe Portable Baby Play Yard
The Delta Children LX Deluxe Portable Baby Play Yard is a lightweight and sporty playard perfect for busy families. It may be compact but still manages to include snap-on storage, a bassinet, and a changing area. The included carrying case means it is ready to go whenever you are!
- Includes mobile with hanging plush toys
- Comes in pleasing gender-neutral colors
- The changing table is effortless to take off and put on yet very sturdy
- The mattress is more of a thin mat
- May not be very durable
- RECOMMENDED USE: Deluxe Play Yard features a removable full size bassinet and changing table; Bassinet holds up to 15 pounds; Changing Table holds up to 25 pounds; Play Yard holds children up to 35 Inches tall
- FUN FOR BABY, EASY FOR YOU: Removable mobile arm with hanging plush toys engages early visual development; Removable changing table station features waterproof surface; Snap on hanging storage compartment for diapers, wipes and other toiletries
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: Quick and compact fold; Includes carrying bag for fuss free travel or storage; Easy to pack; Great mini crib alternative; Two wheels allow for easy movement from room to room; Easy to assemble; no tools required
7. Fisher-Price On-The-Go Baby Dome
Though not recommended for overnight sleeping, the Fisher-Price On-The-Go Baby Dome is perfect for naps. This circular Playard conveniently folds so that it can be taken nearly anywhere. Once set up the full coverage dome provides protection from the elements and pests. Therefore, it’s probably the most comfortable pack n play for outdoor activities. The firm mattress pad and mesh sides offer a safe space for your baby to play or snooze, which still makes it fall under our list of best pack and play for sleeping.
- Includes attention-grabbing mobile and plush toys
- Less cumbersome than a standard pack and play
- Sleep pad is completely removable and washable
- It can only be used if your baby cannot push up on hands and knees, sit up unassisted, or pull upward.
- Once legs are on they are very difficult to remove
- The pad is only held on by Velcro and ambitious babies may be able to remove the pad
- Item arrives in frustration-free, easy-to-open packaging that’s 100% recyclable. For a gift-ready box, select “Ship in Amazon packaging” at checkout
- 2-in-1 portable infant play space and napping spot, perfect for at home or travel with your baby
- Dome can be used indoors or out
8. 4moms Breeze Plus Portable Playard
The 4moms Breeze Plus Portable Playard makes assembly a breeze. It’s one-handed open and one-handed close is as simple as it gets when you’re a busy mom. This best pack and play for sleeping grows with your child thanks to its removable bassinet and mattress pad.
- Very lightweight
- Includes carrying case
- Compact and perfect for small spaces
- The mattress can only be used with 4moms sheets
- May not be durable, after frequent use arms may no longer fold
- Opens or closes in one step
- Quick set up
- Includes removable bassinet & changer
9. Chicco FastAsleep Full-Size Travel Playard
A full-sized Playard can be better for sleeping, such is true with the Chicco FastAsleep Full-Size Travel Playard. This large pack and play provides plenty of room but still assembles in a snap, making it the best pack and play for sleeping toddlers. The fold-out legs quickly snap into place. The 2-in-1 bassinet and changer snaps onto the playard and can be flipped back and forth to suit your needs.
- Large changing station that can hold babies up to 30lbs
- All fabric unzips from the frame so that it can be washed
- Includes two travel bags, one for the pack and play and one for the bassinet/changer.
- Bassinet fabric isn’t washable
- Can be difficult to collapse
- Bulky in size
- Ready in seconds! No Assembly required + Snap-open setup
- Presto changer! 2-In-1 changer/napper
- Zip-and-wash fabrics for easy machine washing
10. Ingenuity Smart and Simple Packable Portable Playard with Changing Table
The Ingenuity Smart and Simple Packable Portable Playard with Changing Table is a nursery to go. This multifunctional playard includes an infant sleeper, changing area, and storage pockets. The mattress has two height options so your child is easy to reach. This portable nursery serves as one best pack and play for sleeping when you need a safe space for your little one.
- Newborn sleeper lined with comfortable plush
- Fulfills multiple needs
- When the mattress is used at the upper level their is little support and the mattress may slope to one side
- Keeps baby safe from playtime to naptime. The maximum weight recommendation is 30 pounds and the minimum weight recommendation is 6 pounds
- Portable playard with bassinet and changing table
- Bring wherever you go foldable and on wheels
11. Graco Pack ‘n Play Playard
The Graco Pack ‘n Play Playard is simple, affordable, and safe. It is the best pack and play for sleeping for those on a budget. It may not have a plethora of attachments but it makes up for it in ease of use. The playard opens and closes easily with automatically folding feet and push-button side rails. The airy mesh and firm mattress provide a secure and comfortable space for your little one to snooze.
- Sturdy and large enough for older children
- The mattress fits most standard size playard sheets
- Pad is firm but not soft or thick
- Middle of the mattress may sink in slightly with heavier children
- Automatically folding feet and wheels allow for a more compact fold
- Organizer keeps baby essentials close at hand
- Durable frame makes this playard ideal for travel
12. Baby Trend Lil Snooze Deluxe Nursery Center
If you would like a playard that goes beyond just a sleep space, consider the Baby Trend Lil Snooze Deluxe Nursery Center. It includes a flip-over changing pad, a deep bassinet, a suspended mattress, and side storage pockets. This trendy playard comes in multiple patterns and colors. The deep napper bassinet includes airy mesh sides and a toy bar with two toys. This is perhaps the best playard for newborn sleeping and playtime.
- Plenty of storage
- Very practical for small spaces as an all in one infant station
- Changing table and sleeper fabrics are not removable and can be difficult to wash
- Initial setup can be a bit complicated
- Napper bassinet for infant with mobile and removable full bassinet
- Flip over changer makes changing your child simple and easy
- 1-hand locking mechanism and storage bag for easy folding for storage and travel
Our Top Sleep Spot
Clearly, there are many great options when it comes to best pack and play for sleeping.
Upon choosing a playard you should weigh the usefulness of attachments against the increase in weight and size. Above all, the pack and play should be safe and preferably brand new.
When it comes to selecting the best playard for newborn sleeping, the Baby Trend Lil Snooze Deluxe Nursery Center takes the cake. Unlike other bassinet attachments, the depth of this sleeper ensures your baby won’t roll out. The unique swing-out changing table is convenient and aided by the attached diaper storage. Overall, this is a safe, sturdy, and multifunctional playard.
Many of the pack and plays on this list have awesome features, but the ideal playard for you depends on your needs and wants. Hope this article serves as a good guide for you!
Last update on 2020-07-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API