A Safe place to crawl and explore
During the serenity of pregnancy, you may think the need for a playpen is overrated, you won’t be a mom who relies on a baby gate. But when your bundle of joy becomes mobile and you need a safe space for them so that you can leave the room for just five minutes to use the bathroom or reheat your coffee…you will thank the stars for your playpen and playard.
An adjustable baby playpen is a mobile and versatile essential that can provide a safe place for your baby. It can keep them from accessing hazards and keep rambunctious pets from entering their play space.
Many times, they can be used outdoors or indoors. They may be able to take many shapes and sizes or be deconstructed to serve as barriers. Here, I have tried to take the work out for you of finding the perfect playpen by lining up the cream of the crop of the best playpen for crawling your baby will love.
The 10 Best Playpen for Crawling
Peace of Mind for You & Fun for Them
Baby playpens keep mobile little ones contained and in turn, safe. Most playpens are composed of interlocking gate-like sides and do not feature a base.
However, portable playpens may more closely resemble a pack and play with mesh walls affixed to a base. Their large size allows your baby to crawl and play in a confined but expansive area. They can be resized, rearranged, and moved about the house quite easily.
Playpens are used as physical barriers to prevent your little one from reaching any unsafe space in your home, think staircases or fireplaces. Though playpens shouldn’t take the place of childproofing your home, these may help protect your baby from avoidable accidents.
The best playpen for crawling is often a lifesaver for moms when they need to leave the room for a quick minute. However, because your baby will be out of your sight while in the playpen you need to ensure its safety and efficiency.
Further reading: 15 Best Playpen for Safe & Awesome Baby Play Time
Choosing a Safe, Secure, and Fun Space
Playpens offer protection for your little one and peace of mind for you when your baby finally outgrows or needs something more than play gyms and play mats. By creating a safe space for your baby to crawl, play and explore you can step away for a moment without worry. But in order to feel confident in your choice of the best playpen for crawling, you need to consider a few key factors.
Durability. Playpens can experience a significant amount of wear and tear from taking them apart and reassembling them, to using them outdoors, and even as a result of your baby. Therefore, your playpen should be sturdy and long-lasting. The plastic walls and joints should be able to withstand frequent use.
Age. It can be tempting to purchase a used playpen but for infant items usually new is best. When you directly purchase the playpen, you can be sure that it has all the necessary parts, no modifications have been made, and that it is safe for your little one. With a used playpen you cannot always verify its history.
Ease of Use. How convenient the playpen is to use is also important. If it is difficult to assemble and disassemble it can be frustrating and take up too much of your precious time. Additionally, it should be easy to get your child in and out of the playpen either via a door or due to the appropriate panel height.
Weight can also play a role in convenience – it should be light enough to easily move it about. Some best playpen for crawling includes a carrying case to facilitate travel. Finally, you want to make sure it isn’t a pain to store. Large and bulky panels that don’t come apart or lay flat for storage can be difficult to manage when your playpen isn’t in use.
Efficiency. The playpen should be efficient in keeping your little one safe and contained. The walls or side panels should be high enough that your little one cannot crawl over them. The best playpen for crawling must also be sturdy and heavy enough that your little one cannot tip it over or slide it across bare floors.
The locking mechanism should be impossible for tiny hands to open. Playpens can give you peace of mind when you leave the room, but only if they are efficient at their job.
Features. Finally, consider if you would like any special features. Some are smaller and more mobile while others provide an expansive play area. A few are brightly colored while others have unobtrusive and neutral colors to blend in with your decor.
Playpens primarily provide a play space for babies, but they can include a variety of useful features. These can include a door, and an interactive play panel, and even an attachable canopy.
Playpen vs Pack and Play. Pack and plays can also be used as a playpen. Both items can generally be referred to as Playards for babies. However, playpens are usually interlocking gates, as mentioned above; while pack and plays are mesh sided cribs. Pack and plays can be ideal for small spaces while playpens provide an expansive play area. There are some hybrid playpens that feature mesh sides and bases but are also quite roomy, such as the Graco Pack ‘n Plays.
You may be interested in: 6 Awesome Best Newborn Pack and Play & Playard for your Baby
Our Top 10 Best Playpens for Crawling
Choosing the best playpen for crawling can seem like a big undertaking, but we have tried to simplify the process for you by rounding up ten awesome playpens. Some of these resemble the traditional fence pen while others are of the pack and play style. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages and which one you choose depends on your preferences.
1. Gupamiga Baby Playpen
The Gupamiga Baby Playpen is a fun and easy to use standard playpen. The colorful walls are sturdy yet lightweight. When time is of the essence, the playpen can be constructed in as little as fifteen minutes. The Gupamiga baby playpen is five by five square feet, making it one of the best playpens for crawling.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Anti-clip design means children cannot get pinched
- Includes an activity panel with toys and interactive elements
- The gap between panels is large enough for some children to stick their arms through
- Molded plastic is thin
- 🏆MOM'S LIFESAVER: Keep baby safe in there play activity centre when mom/dad needs to cook, clean up, go to the bathroom, etc.
- 🏆STURDY HOLDING: Specially designed anti-slip rubber feet underneath of the play yard so the parts don't go sliding around.Each piece is larger and more stable, not easily deformed.
- 🏆COVERS A LARGE AREA: It is a great amount of space for baby to learn walk and even laying with baby in it for play time.The dimensions is 5x5 Square Feet.
2. Toddleroo by North States Superyard
A standard model of playpen, the Toddleroo by North States Superyard, is an easily transportable option. It can be used either outdoors or indoors and even includes a travel bag. The snap-together panels provide nearly seven feet of space for your little one to explore.
- Panels come in a variety of colors
- The plastic web design makes it hard for kids or pets to climb
- Large in size but panels can be removed to resize
- No rubber stoppers on the bottom so the playard can be pushed on hard floors
- Interlocking panels can be difficult to disassemble
- NEW NAME - SAME GREAT BRAND YOU TRUST: Designed for both indoor and outdoor use, the Toddleroo by North States Superyard Colorplay is an excellent solution for creating a safe playpen for your child. Plus, the convenient Folding ABC Play Mat (sold separately) works great with this play yard. It provides extra comfort and sensory stimulation during tummy time or any time!
- SAFETY & CONVENIENCE: This play yard sets up and folds up quickly. Comes complete with carrying strap and non-slip pads. Fun for your child, peace of mind for you! Plus, the durable plastic is kid-tough and difficult for either pets or children to climb.
- VERSATILE: This durable plastic eight-panel colorful play yard creates up to 34.4 square feet of protected play space.
3. Regalo My Play Portable Playard
The Regalo My Play Portable Playard is a pack and play, playpen hybrid. Instead of interlocking gates, it features a fold-and-go design. The six mesh panels provide a 48-inch wide nylon play space. This is ideal for use on the sand, grass, or anywhere you don’t want your child in direct contact with the ground.
- Very easy to move about
- Sits up off the ground and has a nylon “floor”
- The steel frame is very sturdy
- No padding between steel crossbars and mesh wall
- Mesh walls can be torn unlike plastic panels
- PERFECT FIT: The nylon bottom provides protection from rough surfaces. The My Play 6-panel measures 48 inches wide and 26 inches tall. Patented easy fit, one-time adjustment system.
- PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Designed with a simple fold and go deign. Easy to set up and take down within seconds. Includes a carry case with arm strap for travel, on the go or storage
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR: Water resistant for indoor and outdoor use.
4. Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard
Another travel-ready best playpen for crawling is the Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard. This lightweight playpen, weighing only twelve pounds, is perfectly suited for the outdoors thanks to its weather-resistant canvas floor surrounded by mesh sides. The compact fold and storage bag mean it is ready to go whenever you are! When you arrive simply unfold it and lock the frame.
- Can purchase easy-on canopy attachment
- Simple to set up
- Durable materials
- The floor is not removable and can only be wiped clean
- Steel crossbars behind mesh walls have no padding
- Freestanding and portable for use inside or outdoors
- 14 square feet, 48 inches wide and stands tall at 26 inches. Setup playard on a flat, level surface
- Lightweight (12lbs) folding metal frame comes fully assembled and unfolds in seconds
5. Kidzone Interactive Baby Playpen
The shape of the Kidzone Interactive Baby Playpen is customizable so you can change it to suit your space, anything from circular to square. The colorful walls are appealing to children but also sturdy and secure. The unique interlocking mechanism of this Kidzone baby playpen helps to ensure your little one won’t get pinched or trapped.
- Has suction cups on its base so it doesn’t slide on hardwood floors
- Walls are interactive
- Includes a locking door for easy in and out
- Some panels feature large gaps in which an arm or leg could get stuck
- 【Customizable Shape】You can use all 8 panels or less, it’s up to you, this feature along with the ability to shape it be it square, rectangle, hexagon or octagon gives you full control to create any size play space for your child that will fit anywhere in your house, in middle of a room or in a corner
- 【Safety Lock】Comes with locking gate that is very secure and a great feature to walk in and out your toddler of the playpen
- 【Strong and Sturdy】Works great on a carpet or hardwood floor. If you place it on hardwood floor, there are suction cups on each panel and they stick to it for stability
6. Evenflo Versatile Play Space
The Evenflo Versatile Play Space is an adjustable best playpen for crawling. With all six panels it provides 18.5 square feet of space, however, panels can be removed or added. Its reversible legs feature no-scratch pads on one side and lawn stakes on the other, making it perfect for indoor or outdoor use.
- Panels are UV and weather-resistant
- Plastic panels have rounded edges so your baby is less likely to be scratched or hurt
- Unique hinge design makes it very easy to fold and store
- Bigger children who can stand may be able to tip it as it is very lightweight
- Lightweight design means some children may be able to push it across the floor
- VERSATILE BABY PLAY SPACE: The Evenflo Versatile Play Space is a professionally designed spacious play center for children ages 6 to 24 months. It features over 18.5 square feet of space and is quick and easy to set up.
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE: This pack and play space is exceptionally versatile. The exclusive reversible legs have outdoor stakes for lawn stability and anti-movement, non-scratch floor pads for interior surfaces.
- EASY & QUICK ASSEMBLY: The Evenflo Play Space for infants is quick and easy to assemble. It requires no additional tools thanks to its unique hinge design. It is also portable, featuring a foldable molded handle for additional safety.
7. Costzon Baby Playard
The Costzon Baby Playard is the ideal playpen for small spaces. Often referred to as a pack and play, this portable play space can be used for playing or sleeping. It features a mattress that can be adjusted to two heights in order to accommodate babies of varying ages and levels of development. Other attributes include storage and a fun mobile.
- Compact and portable
- Includes other features like a napper and changer
- Has wheels to move easily about your home
- May be too small of a space for older children
- Not your typical gate design in which panels can be added or removed
- Reversible Playard & Bassinet - Designed to transit from newborn to infant to toddler, Costzon baby playard consists of multifunctional accessories. Water-resistant changing table holds a baby stably and flips over when not in use. Removable newborn bassinet for baby to take a nap. Spacious playard is equipped with a zipper game entrance for baby to crib in/out.
- Have A Play! Engagement and imagination starts early for your little one, so she’ll love the mobile with three soft toys. You’ll love watching her reach for the toys as they circle overhead, keeping her entertained and happy! Music box with slight light makes baby fall asleep quicker.
- Stability & Durability - Two wheels with brakes increases safety and makes it convenient transit from room to room. Also, 2 wheels have locking mechanism which let the baby playard stop steadily when mother or baby want to have a rest.Surrounded by breathable mesh so that parents are easy to communicate with your babies.
8. Best Choice Products 8-Panel Baby Playpen
Best Choice Products 8-Panel Baby Playpen is an adjustable playpen that can be transformed into an octagon, square, or rectangle. The colorful panels include interactive objects to keep your baby entertained. The door provides easy access to your little one. Best Choice baby playpen even includes a lock so even the most intuitive little ones can’t escape.
- Can be used with babies and toddlers
- Hollow plastic is lightweight
- Suction cups on base adhere to the floor so it won’t slip
- To make the square shape you must purchase additional pieces
- Activity board stickers peel off easily
- Quality product
- Perfect for children up to 4 yrs of age
- Activity board: ball spinners, telephone
9. Baby Care Play Mat Funzone Play Pen
The Baby Care Play Mat Funzone Play Pen is a large playard featuring ten panels. It is available in a variety of colors to suit your home decor, from grey to vivid. This playpen is ideal for young children of all ages and can even be suitable for toddlers.
- Plastic is BPA free and hygienic in case your child’s mouth comes into contact with the plastic
- Their fitted playmat for inside can be purchased
- High quality
- The door can be difficult to open and close
- Some children can get their appendages caught in the cut-outs
- Genuine play pen for Baby Care Play Mats
- No tools needed to assemble or disassemble
- Phthalate Free, BPA Free, Lead Free, Latex Free, Formaldehyde Free, EVA Free
10. Babyseater Portable Playard
A great outdoor or indoor playpen is the Babyseater Portable Playard. It has a padded fabric base and large mesh screens, available in beige, pink, or turquoise. Its simple-fold design means you can take it nearly anywhere. When you want to use it, the one-handed fold makes it effortless to set up. This best playpen for crawling is perfect for active families.
- Comes with a travel bag with a strap
- Metal frame bars are vertical and don’t cross panels
- Has an easy in and out zippered door
- Metal rim of playard is covered with fabric and padding
- May not be durable enough for use by older and larger children
- Zipper may breakdown over time
- ❤️ TIME TO PLAY – For little ones, it’s all about fun! But keeping a constant eye on your kiddos can be hard when you’ve got a thousand other things going on. Thankfully, BabySeater’s portable playyard turns anywhere into a safe space to play!
- 💙 A FLICK OF THE WRIST – Setting up your baby playpen is so easy, you might just think it’s magic! We crafted our playard for single-handed operation, so you can set it up with 1 hand while you’re holding your kiddo with the other.
- 💛 NOW YOU SEE ME – Peace of mind for everyone! The BabySeater portable playpen uses secure, see-through mesh that allows you to see baby, and baby to see you! And with the 2 safety locks, both you and your little one will enjoy immense comfort whenever you use your indoor/outdoor play area.
Which Playpen is Perfect for Your Baby?
In the contest of best playpen for crawling, the Evenflo Versatile Playspace comes out on top for me. Its smooth panels provide 18.5 square feet of space. Each panel has a non-slip pad on one side and a lawn stake on the other, making it extremely versatile. When you are done using it, its unique hinge design makes folding and storing a breeze!
Though many playpens look similar, they are not all created equal. They can provide varying amounts of space, feature different panel locking mechanisms, and offer unique features. Above all, choose one that creates the safest space for your curious little one.
Last update on 2020-07-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API