Last Updated on
Car seats are a necessity when you are transporting your little one, but they are also expensive especially if you end up needing to upgrade from a car seat carrier when your child gets bigger. A reliable and affordable convertible car seat – like the Evenflo SureRide DLX – is what you may need.
Presenting the Evenflo SureRide DLX
Presenting the Evenflo SureRide DLX convertible car seat (Source: Evenflo)
Evenflo is known for their excellent baby products, particularly their car seats. The SureRide DLX convertible car seat is not only highly rated for safety but it is also low on cost, making it a great choice for the parent who is looking to save money.
Convertible car seats are ideal as they typically last longer than car seats with carriers. As long as the minimum weight allowance supports infants, you can use most convertible car seats right up until the time your child is ready to change to a belted booster seat.
The SureRide DLX supports your little one from infancy to a maximum of 65 pounds. You can install it both rear and front facing to comply with AAP car seat regulations according to age and weight.
It’s a pretty simple car seat without a lot of bells and whistles like fancy LATCH system installation or cushy padding. But it does the trick, keeping your child safe while saving you money.
- check3 layers of energy absorbing foam protection
- Easy to remove cover to clean
- Can be installed rear and from facing
- Fold down cup holder
- LATCH straps are difficult to tighten
- No extra padding or cushion
- Only one recline position for rear facing installation
- No adjustable head rest
- Harness needs be rethreaded as child grows
- 2 Seats in 1: Two Modes of Harness use - Rear-Facing and Forward-Facing
- e3 Expanded Zone of Protection: 3 layers of energy-absorbing foam provide superior protection and reduces side impact crash forces up to 50%
- Up-Front Harness Adjust: Central, front access to harness adjuster provides an easy way to adjust child's harness for an accurate, snug fit
Features and Benefits of Choosing the Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible Car Seat
The SureRide DLX supports children 5-65 pounds (Source: Ideal Baby)
You can use the Evenflo SureRide DLX car seat right from birth as it supports a minimum of 5 pounds and can be used rear facing up to 40 pounds. With a small infant insert, your baby’s head will be supported and comfortable.
Once your child has outgrown the weight and height recommendation for a rear facing seat, you can change it to forward facing. This is safe for children from 22 to 65 pounds.
The Evenflo SureRide DLX is lightweight and roomy for big children (Source: MyBetaNYC)
When you are looking for a car seat, you need to make sure it is going to fit in your car. The Evenflo SureRide DLX is a bit big, but it does fit in most vehicles.
One of the best things about a larger car seat is that it will support your child as they grow without having to worry about them feeling cramped.
Where the SureRide DLX is big on size it makes up for in its lightweight design, weighing only 9.8 pounds. Being lightweight means it will be easier to switch between cars if needed.
A five-point harness and triple layer protection keeps your child safe (Source: Ideal Baby)
Car seats first and foremost should be safe. The whole point is to protect your child when you are on the road and in the event of an accident.
The Evenflo SureRide DLX has three layers of energy-absorbing foam protection, which provides advanced protection and reduces side impact crash forces up to 50%
As with most car seats, the SureRide DLX is also equipped with a five-point harness, the standard for infant and child safety.
For additional comfort, the Alpha Omega Elite has rotating armrests. Your toddler or child can comfortably rest their elbows on. Since they are rotatable, they don’t always feel cramped in a tight space.
The Evenflo SureRide DLX installs via seat belt or LATCH system (Source: Tachkit)
As mentioned before, the Evenflo SureRide DLX can be installed both rear and front facing, depending on your child’s height and weight.
Installation is relatively easy. The car seat is fitted with straps and hooks for the LATCH system. The straps are pretty standard – with no fancy installation features – so this also means that it can be a little bit difficult to tighten down when installing.
Don’t rush through installation. Be sure to take your time to make sure the seat is level and the straps are tight so that your child stays safe.
You also have the option for seat belt installation which is easier, but it is not as reliable as the LATCH method.
Tighten and loosen the harness on the SureRide DLX with the button and strap on the front (Source:Wallseat.co)
The harness adjustment is also pretty standard. A button on the front of the car seat loosens the belt so you can get your child out easily.
To tighten it, simply pull on the strap in front to adjust it to the correct position.
As your child grows, you will need to rethread the harness through the car seat to adjust the height according to your child’s needs. There is no headrest on this car seat that adjusts with the harness.
Just remove the entire cover on the Evenflo SureRide DLX to clean it (Source: Car Seat Blog)
Car seats always seem to be covered with crumbs and stains from snack time on the road. This can make it a pain if the cover is not able to be cleaned easily.
However, the cover on the Evenflo SureRide DLX comes off quick easily and is even machine washable to make it easy to clean. You can even tumble dry on low.
The harness can easily be wiped with mild soap and water if you find stains or sticky messes on it. Just be sure to let it air dry when you’re done.
The Evenflo SureRide DLX is a pretty standard car seat, but it does have a few nice features worth noting
As your child gets older, you will be thankful for the fold down cupholder that comes with the Evenflo SureRide DLX. It will help keep drinks and snacks close at hand so you don’t have to go digging for them while you are driving.
The materials used for the seat cover are ventilated, so they will keep your child cooler in the summer when the sun is coming through the windows.
Alternative Car Seat Options Compared to the Evenflo SureRide DLX
Safety 1st Guide 65
The Safety 1stGuide 65 convertible car seat (Source: Safety 1st)
The Safety 1stGuide 65 is similar to the Evenflo SureRide in both price and most features. It still supports from 5-65 pounds, has ultimate side impact protection with EPP energy absorbing foam, and removable cup holder.
However, the Guide 65 is slightly smaller; in fact, the company prides itself on the fact that this car seat can fit three across in most cars.
The car seat itself is a little bit heavier at 15 pounds, but if you are just keeping it in one vehicle, this shouldn’t be an issue.
- Narrow enough to seat 3 across
- EPP energy absorbing foam protection
- Slightly heavier
- Hard to tighten LATCH straps
- Perfect for smaller cars or for extra space in your larger vehicle, this LATCH equipped Safety 1st car seat accommodates children from 5 to 40 pounds in rear facing mode and from 22 to 65 pounds in forward facing mode
- Adjust the 5 point harness from the front of the seat
- Side impact protection built into this infant car seat keeps your little one extra secure
Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX
The Cosco Might Fit 65 DX convertible car seat (Source: CoscoKids)
For something even lower on the price scale, we recommend the Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX. This car seat is designed to be just the right size so that your child fits but you still have leg room when it is installed rear facing.
The fabrics are comfortable and cushy as well as machine washable and dryer safe. With its narrow frame, you should also be able to fit three across in most cars.
It is considerably heavier than the Evenflo SureRide DLX – 23 pounds compared to 9.8. And just like the other low priced car seats we’ve looked at, this one can be difficult to get really tight when installing.
- One of the lowest priced convertible car seats
- checkFabrics are machine washable and dryer safe
- Able to fit three across
- Very heavy at 23 pounds
- Difficult to get tight fit with LATCH installation
- With 2 modes of use, this extra comfortable LATCH equipped Cosco car seat accommodates infants from 5 pounds up to toddlers weighing 40 pounds in rear facing mode and kids up to 65 pounds in forward facing mode. Its compact design also makes it easier to manage through airport security checks
- The 5 point harness adjusts easily from the front of the seat and features 5 heights and 3 buckle locations
- Built in side impact protection keeps your little 1 extra secure; Designed to be just the right size, the seat takes up less space while rear facing so parents can have more leg room
The Britax Allegiance convertible car seat (Source: Britax)
Britax is known for their high end car seats and strollers, but they are also a bit more expensive than the car seats we’ve looked at. However, you definitely get what you pay for when you step up to this next level.
The LATCH system is much easier to use with the push of a button and built in lock-offs. No need to rethread the harness as it adjusts easily with the headrest. And the cover can be removed for cleaning without even needing to remove the harness.
Britax is also known for having some of the safest car seats thanks to the steel frame and impact absorbing base. Keep in mind that these features do make this car seat very heavy.
- LATCH installation with push buttons and lock-offs
- checkNo rethread harness
- Superior safety features
- Much more expensive
- Too heavy for travel
- Easy installation: Push button LATCH connectors and built in lock offs make car seat installation a breeze
- No rethreading, ever: Quick adjust 10 position harness (8.5 to 17.5 inches) with headrest grows along with your child
- Easy clean up: Remove the car seat cover without removing the harness
The Evenflo SureRide DLX is one of the best convertible car seats you can get at its price point. It is affordable for just about any budget and lasts much longer than those car seat carriers.
With its light weight, it is easy to travel with, whether that means frequent airline travel or simply switching it between vehicles on a regular basis.
If you’re looking for a safe, reliable car seat that won’t break the bank, the Evenflo SureRide DLX may be the one for you.
EVENFLO SURERIDE DLX
Last update on 2020-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API