Giving your crying or fussy baby a pacifier can be a great way to calm and soothe him or her. Pacifiers also have many other benefits like lowering the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. However, for babies with ankyloglossia – or more commonly known as tongue-tie, it can be difficult for them to keep the pacifiers in their mouths and receive the comfort they need.
Finding the best pacifier for tongue-tied baby can be difficult if you don’t know what to look for. This is why I have created this comprehensive review and buying guide to help you find the right pacifier for your little one.
THE 5 Best Pacifiers for Tongue-Tied Baby YOU CAN BUY TODAY:
Benefits of Using a Pacifier for Babies
Before I dive in on what’s the best pacifier for tongue-tied baby, let’s first discuss what are the general benefits of giving them pacifiers.
- Reduced Risk of SIDS or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
While studies remain inconclusive regarding how it reduces the risk, doctors have found that giving your baby a pacifier while asleep can lower the risk by over 50%.
- Encourages Self-Soothing
This is something that can be especially helpful for fussy babies as instead of constantly relying on their moms to soothe them, the pacifier can help them be more relaxed and secured. This allows them more control over their feelings. This can be beneficial for parents too as a calm baby can result in calmer parents as well.
- Helps Satisfy Their Natural Sucking Reflex
There are babies whose sucking reflex remains even after they have been fed and this can result in fussy babies if their natural need for sucking isn’t met. Pacifiers help fulfill this need and calm them but ensure that pacifier use doesn’t substitute their mealtime.
- Helps Distract Them During Medical Procedures
Babies undergo a lot of medical procedures such as vaccinations and blood tests to ensure that they remain healthy and strong. However, the emotional distress induced by these procedures can have negative consequences on your baby. Giving them a pacifier can help soothe them and make them feel more secure as they undergo these procedures.
However, it should be noted that breastfeeding your baby should already be well-established before introducing a pacifier to them as this may interfere in their feeding sessions and your milk production.
A Guide to Choosing the Best Pacifier for Tongue-Tied Baby
Choosing the best pacifier for tongue-tied baby can be difficult, especially because their condition makes it hard for them to keep the pacifier in their mouths.
Aside from that, we, as parents, need to choose their pacifiers carefully as it will be going in their mouths and if we choose wrong, it might bring harm to our little bundles of joy. In order to avoid this, here’s a short guide on how to choose a pacifier for tongue-tied babies.
1. Choose a pacifier with the fewest components.
Aside from preventing them from becoming a choking hazard, a pacifier with as little parts as possible is also easier to clean and sanitize, ensuring that your baby is only putting something that’s been thoroughly cleaned in their mouth.
2. Choose the right type of pacifier for your baby’s needs.
There are several types of pacifiers such as a 3-piece, 1-piece, glow-in-the-dark, feeder, and toy pacifiers.
One-piece pacifiers minimize the risk of choking as it’s only made of one part and this is usually the type of pacifiers for tongue-tied baby recommended by experts. Three-piece pacifiers, on the other hand, are more complex and harder to clean. For night time usage, glow-in-the-dark pacifiers are best while feeder pacifiers are best if your baby is more than 12 months old. Toy pacifiers are ideal for increased entertainment and stimulation for your baby.
3. Choose the model appropriate for your baby’s age.
Since pacifiers come in different sizes, you should carefully consider the best one for your baby’s age. This will help prevent them from choking on the pacifier and allow them to maximize its intended use.
4. Don’t choose flavored pacifiers.
It can be tempting to give flavored pacifiers for your baby but the chemically-based and artificial flavors and fragrances can be harmful to your baby, especially if they’re sensitive to the artificial ingredients.
Pacifiers can be a helpful tool in soothing as well as keeping your baby calm. However, we, as parents, should be careful when choosing one as the wrong one may end up doing more harm than good for our little ones.
Best 5 Picks of Pacifier for Tongue-Tied Baby
1. MAM Pacifier with MAM Pacifier Clip
Featuring a classic three-piece pacifier design, this MAM pacifier with MAM Pacifier Clip combines a functional design with innovation that makes it an ideal pacifier for tongue-tied baby. This shield-shaped pacifier features a design that allows for the baby’s skin to breathe even for prolonged use.
Moreover, the pacifier nipple is made of medical-grade and BPA-free silicone that’s soft and symmetrical, giving your baby the ultimate comfort as well as a tool for proper teeth and jaw development.
It comes with a convenient pacifier clip with a sliding plastic lock that keeps it safe and secure even when your baby loses it from their mouth. Aside from that, the pacifier clip prevents it from falling and rolling under hard-to-reach places, ensuring that it’s safe and hygienic for your baby’s use.
- Made from high-quality and safe BPA-free materials
- Comes with a convenient pacifier clip for security
- An anti-slip surface that helps keep it in baby’s mouth
- Breathable shield design
- Boiling as sanitization can melt the clip ring
- COMFORTABLE SHIELD – These cute pacifiers for babies are fun and functional. The curved shield with wide openings keep baby comfortable and allow baby’s skin to breathe.
- SILICONE NIPPLE – The BPA-free silicone nipple is a signature MAM pacifier design, with silky SkinSoft material and a symmetrical shape that's ideal for jaw and teeth development.
- SAFE & VERSATILE – The pacifier clip keeps the pacifier clean & secure, is compatible with non-MAM pacifiers, and the plastic sliding lock is safer than sharp metal clips.
2. Philips Avent Soothie Snuggle Pacifier
The Philips Avent Soothie Snuggle Pacifier comes with a soft and lightweight plush toy that your baby can easily hold onto while sucking on the pacifier. Aside from serving as a convenient way to keep the pacifier in place, the plush toy can also give your baby additional comfort, keeping him or her calm and secure while simultaneously entertaining and giving them added mental stimulation.
This pacifier for tongue-tied baby itself is made from medical-grade silicone that’s 100% BPA-free, making it safe for the baby’s use without sacrificing its durability. Cleaning both the pacifier and plush toy is easy as the toy can be easily detached from the pacifier, allowing you to clean them separately for baby’s next use.
- Both the pacifier and plush toy are easy to clean and sanitize
- Can serve as added comfort for baby
- Plush toy keeps the pacifier in place, perfect for tongue-tied babies
- Compatible with all Philips pacifiers for added versatility
- Babies can take the plush toy off easily as well
- Comes with 0 to 3m Soothie, the pacifier used by doctors and nurses to calm newborns
- Soothie and plush toy are detachable for easy cleaning
- Plush toy makes it easy for parents and babies to find, and keeps the pacifier close to baby
3. NUK Sensitive Orthodontic Pacifiers
NUK Sensitive Orthodontic Pacifiers are one of the favourite pacifiers parents go to – featuring 100% silicone design with orthodontic nipple and scooped bottom, this pacifier for tongue-tied baby doesn’t mark your baby’s face due to the soft material and also provides room for tongue movement.
The pacifier’s heart-shaped shield makes a perfect fit under your little one’s nose, allowing for easy breathing and prevents from irritating your baby’s skin. It is BPA-free, making it safe for baby’s continuous use.
You will also be pleased to know that this one-piece pacifier can be popped into a top-rack dishwasher for easy cleaning, and you can also clean it in a microwave using new NUK reusable storage case.
- 100% BPA-free silicone design for safe use
- Easy to clean and sanitize for hygienic purposes
- Scooped bottom design allows room for tongue movement
- Soft material does not leave marks on skin
- May easily attract dirt and lint
- 100% silicone design smoothly contours to baby's face, preventing marks on their sensitive skin
- Orthodontic nipple shape is asymmetrical with a scooped bottom
- Heart-shaped shield fits perfectly under baby's nose for easy breathing
4. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Night Time Pacifier
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Night Time Pacifier is yet another great pacifier perfect for tongue tied babies. This durable and colourful binky features a symmetrical orthodontic nipple design ensures that it stays balanced in your baby’s mouth, helping to support your little one’s oral development in a natural way.
This pacifier for tongue-tied baby also has a reversible nipple which makes it easier for your baby to correctly insert the pacifier. The nipple closely resembles a bottle nipple, which is good for helping your baby feel familiar and comfortable when feeding from a bottle.
The pacifier itself is made from high-quality medical-grade silicone that is BPA-, phthalate-, and latex-free, making it incredibly safe for baby’s use. And the best part? It glows in the dark, so you can easily find it back at night if it drops from your baby’s mouth. Additionally, you can pair it with Tommee Tippee’s pacifier clip to keep it in place.
- Symmetrical orthodontic nipple for natural oral development
- Reversible nipple for easier insertion
- Glows in the dark
- Nipple resembles bottle nipple for baby’s familiarity with feeding bottles
- The pacifier may not glow bright enough
- Glow in the dark soothie handle is ideal for night time use
- Symmetrical orthodontic nipple shape designed to support baby’s natural oral development
- Reversible nipple makes it easier for babies to correctly insert the pacifier
5. Chicco PhysioForma 100% Soft Silicone One Piece Pacifier
If you want a dependable pacifier that is all for supporting tongue tied babies, you can count on the Chicco PhysioForma 100% Soft Silicone One Piece Pacifier. This one features a nipple design with lateral curve aimed at distributing baby’s tongue pressure evenly against the palate. Not only that, the tiny ridges of the nipple and its inclined shape allows for a proper tongue placement – ideal for tongue tied babies.
This pacifier is made of 100% soft silicone and comes in a one piece design with easy hold handle to prevent pacifier’s loss. It is also BPA free and latex free so rest assured this pacifier for tongue-tied baby is safe for your baby’s use. Designed with a narrow base, this allows for enhanced flexibility and optimal lip closure, which also means your baby gets better support in terms of palate and teeth development.
There are ventilation holes on the pacifier for air circulation so that you can prevent the gathering of saliva. And with its one piece structure, cleaning the pacifier is quite a breeze.
- Lateral curve nipple with tiny ridges helps with tongue placement
- One piece design for easy cleaning
- Easy to hold design, preventing the pacifier’s loss
- Narrow base for enhanced flexibility and optimal lip closure
- The clear design makes it hard to find
- Actively supports baby’s breathing
- Clinically developed, tested, and approved in partnership with an advisory panel of leading neonatologists, pediatricians, and orthodontists
- Lateral curve of the nipple evenly distributes the tongue’s pressure against the palate
Knowing how to tell if baby has tongue tie can be difficult because it’s not something that can be immediately detected. While there are some symptoms that can be observed, only a doctor can tell for sure if your baby has a tongue tie.
Aside from this, it can be difficult to find the right pacifier for tongue-tied baby because their condition makes it difficult for them to keep the pacifier in their mouths. This can cause your baby to feel more frustrated.
However, despite this, there are some pacifiers that can be used by tongue-tied babies, some of which were highlighted above. Among all of them, my favorite would have to be Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Night Time Pacifier as it offers good support for tongue tie and baby’s oral development.
Its design also allows your baby to easily keep it in his or her mouth, something that most tongue-tied babies have trouble with. Moreover, the glow in the dark design is a great feature to have, which saves you some time from searching all over the place in the dark for the pacifier.
Last update on 2020-03-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API