Last Updated on
When it comes to entertaining your baby, you don’t want to just plop them down in front of the TV so that you can get a few minutes to yourself. You want an option that entertains them in a healthy and fun way, an option that helps them to grow and develop.
And the best way to achieve these things is with a play gym, complete with a clean space for them to lay on while they play with age-appropriate toys.
There are so many options out on the market available for single babies, but what about twins? Would a normal play gym work for two babies?
We are here to look at some of those play gyms that aren’t necessarily advertised for twins but offer certain features that will work for your two-baby family.
Why Do You Need a Special Play Gym for Twins?
Most standard play mats do not offer enough space for two babies to play together nor do they have enough of a toy variety and/or quantity that will work for two babies.
You will need to find a play gym that is suitable for two babies to play at once, even if they don’t always play together. It is important to find a product that at least offers that option.
Shortly, we will take an in-depth look at some of the features you will want to look for in a play gym for your twins.
Best Ways to Utilize a Play Gym for Twins
When placing both of your babies on the mat for the play gym together, you will want to slightly stagger them, head next to head with their feet going in opposite directions.
This will prevent them from kicking each other as well as minimize the chance of smacking each other in the head.
You will also want to pay attention to how you set up their toys, keeping a few within reach of each baby so there is no fussing and fighting.
How to Choose the Right Play Gym for Twins
First things first, you need to make sure there is enough room for both of your babies to lie down on the mat together to play.
You don’t want them hitting each other (on purpose or by accident), rolling on each other, or fussing over the same toy or space on the mat.
Make sure your play gym comes with a mat big enough to give them both ample space to play.
Variety of Toys
Babies learn quite a bit through play time, whether you realize it or not. They develop fine and gross motor skills, learn the concept of object permanence as well as cause and effect, and can even pick up on facial expressions by watching themselves in a mirror.
As such, you will want to makes sure your twins’ play gym comes with a good variety of toys that will allow them to explore and develop all of these skills.
Easy Set Up
You already have your hands full with two babies; why make things more difficult for yourself with a play gym that takes too much time or concentration to set up?
Look for a play gym that is easy to set up, either with a minimal number of parts or a design that simply pops up into place.
Options for Additional Toys
Of course, with two babies, you will want to make sure there are plenty of toys to go around.
Most play gyms only come with a maximum of 5, which may seem like enough, but when it’s only one of each type (crinkle, mirror, squeaky, spinning, etc.), you will wish you had more.
Some play gyms come with extra rings or spots where you can attach additional toys that you purchase separately so that children can have more options or just play with the ones that are their favorite.
All of the above features are important to for your babies’ development and comfort as well as your own sanity, but they don’t really speak about anything that has to do with the safety of your baby.
No matter what type of product you are purchasing for your baby, you want to make sure it uses safe materials.
This means materials that are non-toxic as well as sturdy so that there is no risk of the gym falling on your baby, them choking on small pieces, or having some sort of adverse reaction to an irritating or slightly toxic material.
Best Play Gyms for Twins
Fisher-Price Rainforest Music & Lights Deluxe Gym
This play gym from Fisher-Price may not have the biggest mat space for two babies, but it’s a great option for newborn twins.
There is an abundance of activities to enjoy, with over 10 toys and activities. These include several detachable toys as well as extra rings for attaching your own.
One of the best features is the fact that the sounds, music, and lights are responsive to your babies’ movements so you don’t have to keep getting up to start it over again.
- Frustration Free Packaging: Easy to open, 100% recyclable, and less packaging waste
- Deluxe newborn gym with 10+ toys and activities and a removable, take-along toucan with music and dancing lights
- Three ways to play: Lay & play, tummy time and take-along
Bright Starts 5-in-1 Your Way Ball Play Activity Gym
This play gym is highly versatile, with the ability to entertain your children right into toddlerhood since it doubles as a ball pit.
The walls of the play mat unfold to create a large 48-inch square play area that can be used with or without the overhead gym. This gives plenty of space for your twins to play together.
There aren’t any extra loops for toy additions, but you can either allow free play on the open mat or switch out the removable toys for others they may be interested in.
It also comes in two color schemes: pink for girls and green for boys or gender neutral.
Taf Toys Seaside Pals Baby Gym
This play gym is one of the few that actually includes a mat with extra padding, making it much more comfortable for your little ones to lie down and play.
There aren’t many toy options that come with this gym and there is limited space on the arches to add more.
However, this play gym features one of the largest mats we have seen, giving you plenty of space for two babies and an abundance of toys. It is actually advertised as a mat big enough for two.
- TAF TOYS SEASIDE PALS BABY GYM - Seaside Pals Baby Gym comes in large size and soft mat with thickly padded arches. The soft and extra padded play mat provides extra fun to your baby and enables overall development of your baby. The gym is suitable for the new born as well as for toddlers.
- LARGE SIZE MAT - The Taf Toys Seaside Pals Baby Gym comes with Spacious and roomy base mat which is very large to play one or more babies at a time. The mat is huge in size for the baby, which is 35.4 x 53 inch (90x135cm) thickly padded and extra soft. The mat is designed to stimulate baby's senses with various textures and colorful illustrations.
- SOFT, REMOVABLE ARCHES - The arches provide plenty of options in Seaside Pals Baby Gym. Four vibrantly colored detachable seaside toys consists of Jingle bells whale, crinkling boat with a teether, rattling jittering rabbit toy and a baby-safe mirror. All these help in baby's overall development.
Baby Einstein 5-in-1 Journey of Discovery Activity Gym
Not only will this play mat entertain your little one but it also provides a means of education for years to come. What else can be expected from Baby Einstein?
The global theme of this play mat and gym gives you the opportunity to discover the world, teaching your child with the use of the mat’s map design.
Everything included is spot clean only, but the mat is very easy to wipe down when there are messes.
The mat also folds up into a ball pit or enclosed play area that includes 10 balls and a carrying case that looks like a suitcase.
- 5-in-1 adjustable play environment grows with baby
- Explore the world with this global themed gym, packed with grow-with-me discovery
- Includes 10 balls to encourage motor skill development , photographic imagery to encourage recognition skills
Skip Hop Baby Treetop Friends Activity Gym
This play gym from Skip Hop doesn’t offer much space in terms of play mat area, but it is still a great option for twins due to the option for extra toy attachment.
There are 13 loops included on both the arches and mat, so there is plenty of space to add more toys for your little ones to play with.
It only takes 2 minutes to put this together or even take it apart to store away when not in use. The mat is also machine washable (with a removeable mirror in the middle) which is a great plus.
- Activity center is packed with 17 developmental activities and 13 loops to hang baby toys low, high or on the mat
- Playmat surface features multiple fabrics plus activities on the mat: crinkle leaves, squeaker flower and baby safe mirror in the tree trunk (mirror is removable for machine washing)
- Supportive tummy time pillow with a plush surface on one side and a fun print on the other turns the activity gym into a lush tummy time mat
If you could only choose one play gym for your twins, we would recommend the Bright Starts 5-in-1 Your Way Ball Play Activity Gym.
Overall, it is the best option for twins. There is an abundance of activities to enjoy, including the ability to transform the mat into a ball pit.
Unfolded, the play mat area is very big, giving enough space for both of your little ones to play together at the same time.
There are also a total of 10 detachable toys, more than we have seen on any other play gym so far!
Last update on 2019-10-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API