Last Updated on
One baby is hard enough, but twins are sure to keep your hands full. Sometimes you just need a break.
Playards are not only a great option for single babies but you can also find some that are suitable for twins as well.
Using a playard for twins is one of the best ways to give them a safe place to play or nap on the go at a friend or family member’s house.
Why Do You Need a Special Play Yard for Twins?
Even though you will likely use a playard for your twins the same way you would for a single baby, you will need to consider size over anything else when selecting a playard for twins.
You need to make sure there is enough room for them both to play without falling on each other or simply getting in each other’s way.
You will also need to consider sleeping space for them if you are going to use your playard as a portable crib on occasion.
Know What Purpose You Will Be Using Your Play Yard For
To go along with that, you will just need to overall consider what you will be using your playard for with your twins.
Will is just be used as a portable crib? Only a play area? Just at home or on the go? And will you be using it both in and out of doors?
All of these things are important to consider in order to steer you in the right direction for the playard that is right for you and your twins.
There are many playards that can be used in all of the above situations if you want versatility, but you may want something a bit more focused to your primary use.
How to Choose the Right Play Yard for Twins
Size should be the first thing to consider when looking for a playard for twins. There needs to be enough space for them both to play, nap, or simply lie down.
Regardless of whether the primary use of your twins’ playard is sleeping or playing, you want to ensure that the materials used are safe.
You don’t want anything toxic, abrasive, sharp, hard, or irritating, and you want the sides to be breathable to reduce the risk of suffocation when your children are lying down.
You also don’t want the playard to tip over or collapse on your little ones. A good sturdy frame is a must have as well as locking wheels if applicable.
A good playard should be able to stand up against every pull and tug babies put it through.
If the playard is going to be used for sleeping, you want to make sure it is comfortable for your twins.
This means a designated space for each baby or enough space for both on a comfortable (yet firm) mattress.
The purpose of a playard is the fact that it can be used just about everywhere. You should be able to move it from room to room, inside to outside, or even take it to another house entirely.
That being said, you will want a playard that is easy to setup, break down, and stows into a travel bag for you to take on the go.
Best Play Yards for Twins
Baby Trend Twin Nursery Center
What’s better than finding a playard that is already set up to accommodate twins? That is what you will find with the Baby Trend Twin Nursery Center.
There are two bassinets included so you can have a designated spot for both babies to sleep during the newborn phase.
There is also a flip up changing table, which is very convenient. You can keep everything you need for diaper changes in the storage caddy that is included as well.
It is a bit heavy, so it may be little difficult to take to the grandparents’ house on a frequent basis. However, it is collapsible to make it a little bit easier.
- Comes with two bassinets
- checkFlip up changing table and storage caddy included
- One-handed locking mechanism and brakes on wheels
- Electronic component with music, nightlight, and vibration
- Not machine washable
- Nowhere to keep storage caddy when both bassinets are in use
- Very heavy
- Two removable rock-a-bye bassinet converts to a stand alone rocker
- Removable rock-a-bye bassinet comes with canopy and carry handle, plush fabric and mesh sides for proper ventilation
- Flip away changing table and deluxe parent organizer. Use only household mild soap and warm water. Do Not Use Bleach. Do Not Machine Wash
Joovy New Room2 Portable Playard
With twins, you need a playard that is roomy, and the Joovy New Room2 gives you just that being nearly 50% larger than most traditional playards.
It has a pretty simple design, like your typical play pen with wheels on one side for easy maneuvering around the home.
The mattress is firm yet comfortable and even includes a 100% cotton fitted sheet which is easy to clean.
There is also a low center of gravity, which helps prevent tipping, even with babies constantly pushing and pulling on the sides.
- Nearly 50% larger than traditional playards
- checkLow center of gravity
- Includes 100% cotton fitted sheet
- Collapses into easy travel size
- Twin nursery center sold separately
- Strong smell upon unboxing
- Extra sheets are expensive
- The New Room2 (Room Squared) is nearly 50% larger than most traditional playards, so you will be able to use it longer and play more
- Nearly 50% larger than most traditional playard with over 10 square feet of space, baby has plenty of room to play and stay entertained. Reliable, durable and built for endurance. Perfect for twins
- An essential piece of gear for families with twins, offering abundant room for two babies. Low Center of Gravity The heavy duty padded mattress supports a baby from 0M+ up to 35”. Two wheels help in moving the playard.
BABYSEATER Portable Playard Play Pen
Though not ideal for sleeping, this portable playard from BABYSEATER is a great play area for your twins to use both inside and outside.
The sides are mesh from top to bottom, making easy for you to see your little ones. It also keeps the area inside cool by allowing air to pass through the sides.
Unlike some other playards that can be hard on your back when putting your babies in and taking them out, this one had a zippered door on the side to make the job a bit easier.
The top rail also has some very nice padding to protect your little ones’ faces as they learn to pull themselves up to standing.
- Mesh from top to bottom
- checkZippered door on the side
- Machine washable materials
- Padding on top rails
- Can’t be used for sleeping comfortably
- Zipper wears out easily
- Bottom is very slippery
- TIME TO PLAY – For little ones, it’s all about fun! But keeping a constant eye on your kiddos can be hard when you’ve got a thousand other things going on. Thankfully, BabySeater’s portable playyard turns anywhere into a safe space to play!
- A FLICK OF THE WRIST – Setting up your baby playpen is so easy, you might just think it’s magic! We crafted our playard for single-handed operation, so you can set it up with 1 hand while you’re holding your kiddo with the other.
- NOW YOU SEE ME – Peace of mind for everyone! The BabySeater portable playpen uses secure, see-through mesh that allows you to see baby, and baby to see you! And with the 2 safety locks, both you and your little one will enjoy immense comfort whenever you use your indoor/outdoor play area.
Romp & Roost Luxe Oversized Playard
If you thought the Joovy playard was big, think again. The Romp & Roost Luxe Oversized playard gives even more space for your twins to play and/or sleep together.
This playard can accommodate quite a bit of weight in addition to its large size, which means you can use it right into toddlerhood.
It is a bit pricey, but for the amount of time you get to use it, it is well worth the investment.
The Romp & Roost Luxe also come equipped with the ability to divide the space into two cozy sleep areas for twins. You will need to purchase this separately if you wish to use this feature.
- Can accommodate twins through toddlerhood
- checkHuge play space
- Includes travel bag
- Can be separated into two sleeping areas
- Space divider sold separately
- Very expensive
- Bag wears out quickly
- ROMP & ROOST - Luxe Play Yard is a stylish, oversized play area, or perfect sleep space, for one or two children to play or nap. New and improved, this play yard now has lighter and softer mattress boards and has more padding.
- DIMENSIONS - 54” x 40” x 30”, weighing 33 lbs.
- MAXIMUM WEIGHT - Recommended for children totaling 70 lbs or less.
Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard
Another great playard that is ideal for playing but not for sleeping is the Summer Infant Pop N’ Play.
It is very similar to the BABYSEATER playard. It collapses easily and fits into the included travel bag.
There isn’t as much padding on this one and the metal bars can pose a bit of an issue for little ones who aren’t so stable on their feet.
However, this is a great bargain if you are simply looking for an enclosed pay are for your twins.
- Low price
- checkCollapses easily
- Comes with travel bag
- Can be used indoors and outside
- Canopy sold separately
- Cannot be used for sleeping
- Metal bars are exposed
- Freestanding and portable for use inside or outdoors
- 14 square feet, 48 inches wide and stands tall at 26 inches. Setup playard on a flat, level surface
- Lightweight (12lbs) folding metal frame comes fully assembled and unfolds in seconds
When it comes to a playards for twins, out top overall pick would have to be the Romp & Roost Luxe Oversized Playard.
It is the biggest playard by far that we have found, allowing enough space for both of your babies to play together without getting in each other’s way.
It may be big when it is set up, but it still collapses down fairly small to fit into the included travel bag, and it isn’t as heavy as you may think making it pretty easy to travel with.
The weight allowance for this playard is also worth noting, allowing a total of up to 70 pounds, which is considerably more than a lot of other playards allow.
Even though it is sold separately, it is nice to know that you can purchase the divider to create two sleeping spaces for your babies if you want to use this playard as a portable crib.
Last update on 2020-02-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API